cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H.323 and MGCP

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this.  Secondly, please forgive me if this post isn't in the right area.  I have tried to research this question, but cannot find a good answer to this.  Also, please forgive my inexperience, when it comes to IP telephony.  We're using CUCM 8.6.x with two clustered 2811 gateways, that are set up to accept calls in a top down fashion.  We also have VG224's and VG202's that handle our modems and fax machines.  Recently, we converted one of the 202's from H323 to MGCP.  If the 2811's accept the incoming call, as H.323, how does it pass off the call, to the 202, which is running MGCP?  It's my understanding that MGCP calls are handled by Call Manager, whereas H.323 is not.  Again, please forgive my ignorance, as I'm trying to absorb all of this.  Thanks for your time!

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In short, by desing CUCM 'proxies' so that all devices, no matter the protocol, can communicate.

That is done by having them exchanging media RTP packets directly.

So basically, the H323 gateway is corresponding with the mgcp gateway?

Yes, but with more features. Note that for phone device like VG2xx the best procotol is SCCP, not MGCP.