Views
Helpful
Replies

H323 & MGCP gateway in route list

rvincent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi;

my customer has 5.1 callmgr At their remote site they have a T-1 cas loop start ckt in a 2821 H323 gateway. I have a local route list with this rg as first choice and want to use their main site mgcp route groups as backup choices. Is there a way to have the callmgr know when the t-1 is down or busy so call goes to backup rg? I saw a post about setting unallocated number field but i don't know if a t-1 cas provides that info. if not, is tere any other way to make this happen?

thanks

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

The default behavior in IOS, when there are no valid POTS dial-peers for a call to go out of, is to return “unallocated number” as a cause code to CCM. This can happen even if a t1 goes down. When the T1 goes down, the POTS peer is marked as down, and when CCM sends a call to the gateway, it'll return a UAN cause code to the ccm, causing CCM (by default) to stop hunting for other available gateways. There are ways to change the behavior using service parameters in CCM, but this behavior didn't make sense to me, so we looked for other ways to do it.

It turns out that you can issue the global command "no dial-peer outbound status-check pots" on the IOS GW, if you're opposed to changing the CCM behavior. What this command will do is cause the dial-peer to stay up. IOS will try and route the call, and when the T1 is down, it returns "No circuit available" to CCM. When CCM receives this cause code, it knows there's been a non-user error, and continues hunting, achieving the desired behavior.

In your case since it is H323 it will be retruning only H225 release comp message with proper code to continue re-routing.

The IOS code will translate any code we get from pots side to IP side

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

The default behavior in IOS, when there are no valid POTS dial-peers for a call to go out of, is to return “unallocated number” as a cause code to CCM. This can happen even if a t1 goes down. When the T1 goes down, the POTS peer is marked as down, and when CCM sends a call to the gateway, it'll return a UAN cause code to the ccm, causing CCM (by default) to stop hunting for other available gateways. There are ways to change the behavior using service parameters in CCM, but this behavior didn't make sense to me, so we looked for other ways to do it.

It turns out that you can issue the global command "no dial-peer outbound status-check pots" on the IOS GW, if you're opposed to changing the CCM behavior. What this command will do is cause the dial-peer to stay up. IOS will try and route the call, and when the T1 is down, it returns "No circuit available" to CCM. When CCM receives this cause code, it knows there's been a non-user error, and continues hunting, achieving the desired behavior.

In your case since it is H323 it will be retruning only H225 release comp message with proper code to continue re-routing.

The IOS code will translate any code we get from pots side to IP side

perfect

many thanks

Rob

What would be the service parameter?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: