cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Handling multiple lines with a 'reception' phone

davieshuw
Level 1
Level 1

hi all. Were going to put in a new CME box, connected to an ISDN 30, replacing our UC520 running over ISDN 2.

Internally, we've got 3 companies, in one room.

We want company 1 to have number 111111 for example.

Company 2 will have 222222

And company 3 will have 333333.

I want the reception 7970 series to have 3 lines with:

Company 1

Company 2

Company 3

showing so she can answer as the relevany company. I take it this is possible?

Also, if she's busy chatting as Company 1, and a call comes in for Company 2, will that call meet 'busy' criteria so I can forward straight to the Company 2 group?? Or will I just need to use a noan setting?

What I want to do can be seen in the attatched diagram. It can't be done with our old Digital Nortel BCM which i was suprised at, so I just want to be sure that CME can do this sort of stuff :)

Cheers all!!!!!!

5 Replies 5

Rajesh Revuru
Level 4
Level 4

Hello:

The major difference between CME and CM is the number of calls per line.

In CM, you can have upto 200 calls per line and you can busy trigger associated per line.

In CME, all you can have is dual-line, meaning maximum number of calls per line will be 2.

You can acheive most of the stuff you are lookking for either by CME or CM. But you have to decide how many calls will be you getting on any given number.

You can use Attendant console application starting with CME 4.0 which would be easy to controll incomig calls.

I was wondering if what Rajeshrevuru stated was true about the Attendant Console application working with CME 4.0? I have searched for other references stating this fact and can find nothing??? Please let me know where I can download the version that works with CME 4.0 so I can start using it because I can't find it in the download software section on Cisco's site either...I don't want to pay for ArcExpress either. I think Cisco should have a free console that works like the AC for CM but for CME...

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is easy to do on CME.

You set up multiple dual line ephone DN's and use the huntstop channel feature and preferences to allow the call to hunt through each dn. When a call comes in on the configured number, the call will hunt to the next free DN. You can also set a call forward busy/no answer to a extension or hunt group number.

Use the huntstop channel to keep the second line free for call transfers, and the no huntstop to allow the call to hunt through the DN's.

You then use overlay dn's to share these numbers on a common button on the phone.

Here is a sample config -

xtn 123456 is the receptionist's own number and is on button 1 of the handset.

Number 111111 is for company one and can handle 3 calls (line appearances) on button 2. If the call is not answered, it is sent to xtn 1001 , which could be a shared line on company one's internal phones or a hunt group.

Number 222222 is for company two and can handle 3 calls (line appearances) on button 3. If the call is not answered, it is sent to xtn 1002 , which could be a shared line on company two's internal phones or a hunt group.

Number 333333 is for company three and can handle 3 calls (line appearances) on button 4. If the call is not answered, it is sent to xtn 1003 , which could be a shared line on company one's internal phones or a hunt group.

This will handle up to 3 calls for each company. You can create more ephon-dn's and have a preference of 0-9 if you need more lines (I only started the preferences at 1 for clarity)

We have used this config on many customers now and it works well. Hopefully this should give you some ideas and get you going.

!

ephone-dn 10 dual-line

number 123456

label Reception

name Reception

!

!

ephone-dn 20 dual-line

number 111111

label Company One

name Company One

preference 1

call-forward noan 1001 timeout 30

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 21 dual-line

number 111111

label Company One

name Company One

preference 2

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 22 dual-line

number 111111

label Company One

name Company One

preference 3

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 23 dual-line

number 222222

label Company Two

name Company Two

preference 1

call-forward noan 1002 timeout 30

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 24 dual-line

number 222222

label Company Two

name Company Two

preference 2

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 25 dual-line

number 222222

label Company Two

name Company Two

preference 3

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 26 dual-line

number 333333

label Company Three

name Company Three

preference 1

call-forward noan 1003 timeout 30

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 27 dual-line

number 333333

label Company Three

name Company Three

preference 2

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 28 dual-line

number 333333

label Company Three

name Company Three

preference 3

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

ephone 1

description - Reception phone

mac-address 1111.2222.3333

type 7961

button 1:10

button 2o20,21,22

button 3o23,24,25

button 4o26,27,28

!

I have a questions about this config. I'm used to using multiple DN's per number to share lines and allow more than 1 line available per call.

I have a client that has a receptionist phone. It rings her phone 3 times then gets sent out to the shared line. for anyone to pick up.

A problem presents itself when this happens though. She has a side car that tells who's on the phone. So when someone else answers this incoming call on the shared line that user does not display as busy on the side cart. (because the are really talking on the shared line assigned number).

I dont know of any way to display that the user is busy when talking on the shared line.

Please let me know of there is a better way to solve this:

1. Have incoming call ring operator then transfer to auto-attendant for call routing.

2. Get another side kart and add each of the shared line Dn's to the side Kart. (however this will only display which DN's are in use not which phones). As all phones will have the same button overlays

If anyone has a better solution please let me know! appreciate any help.

Hi James,

With what you are trying to acheive here, this seems like a good design. The calls are being covered but it seems the Operator can't see which phone is in use. You could get the Shared lines to ring on a Centrally located phone (with distinctive ring) and teach the users to use Call Pickup from their personal lines so they show up on the 7914. Or you could look into setting up Presence;

Watch Mode for Phones

In Cisco Unified CME 4.1 and later versions, a line button that is configured for Watch mode on one phone provides Busy Lamp Field (BLF) notification for all lines on another phone (watched phone) for which the watched directory number is the primary line. Watch mode allows a phone user, such as a receptionist, to visually monitor the in-use status of an individual phone. The line and line button on the watching phone are available in watch mode for visual status only. Calls cannot be made or received using a line button that has been set in watch mode. Incoming calls on a line button that is in watch mode do not ring and do not display caller ID or call-waiting caller ID.

The line button for a watched phone can also be used as a direct-station-select for a call transfer when the watched phone is idle. In this case, the phone user who transfers a call from a normal line can press the Transfer button and then press the line button of the watched directory number, causing the call to be transferred to the phone number associated with the watched directory number.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmebasic.html#wp1039613

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: