Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware Error: 8GB Ram installed in MCS 7825-I4

I recently purchased 8GB of RAM for a few of my Voice servers:  CUCM 8.x; and CUPS 8.6.4 which reside on MCS 7825-I4 servers.  I cannot find any information that states if 8GB or RAM is installed in a server and the version of cucm/cups require 4GB - will the application know to only use 4GB and basically not use the remaining 4GB?

Or are we required to only install the amount the application supports.  My reasoning was to purchase the additional RAM while it's available and was only a few more $$ than just 4GB.

Thanks,

Jon

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Technically speaking, you can install as much memory as the server can physically support.  When you install a UC application, it will run a series of hardware checks and make sure that you meet a certain set of minimum requirements before it allows the application to be installed.  Since we are talking about a physical/dedicated MCS server then it will simply have more RAM than is required for the application to install and perform reliably.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

That's what I assumed.  As a test, I had a spare MCS 7825-I4 that had CUMA 7.x installed.  It originally had 2GB of RAM installed.  I removed the 2GB and install 8GB.  When I booted up, I received an error (picture attached).  It then told me that Cisco TAC would not support the configuration until I removed the RAM.  It said I could proceed but issues could surface.  The system hung after I continued from the error screen. 

Thanks for your assistance and insight.

Jon

I haven't run into that particular message before but I also haven't done an installation on a server configured with more than the required amount of RAM.  If I remember correctly, the 7825I4 likely comes with 2 x 1GB memory sticks and has 4 total slots to support up to 8GB of RAM.  In that case, I'd just add 2GB of RAM (for 4GB total) and go with that on the initial installation.  The error you're seeing may be the result of a literal hardware check script but to get an official word, you may want to open a quick TAC case to see what Cisco comes back with.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: