Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware upgrade MCS-7835 H2

gomathishanker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

we are having 2 xMCS-7835 H2 server running call manager 7.x. The server has 2GB RAM and 72GB hard disk. We are planning to upgrade to 8.0(3a) for doing this cisco the documentation says that  we need to upgrade RAM to 4GB and Hard disk to 146GB. Can someone guide me or send me a link that has step by step instructions on how to replace the 72GB hard disk with 146GB hard disk and the RAM.

Many Thanks.

10 Replies 10

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This would be data that you would need to get from HP.

However, double check the HW compatibility matrix and if your model server is not supported - don't waste time upgrading it.  Go with a supported configuration.  You need to make sure all specs meet the minimum (CPU, etc).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

dstine
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the same boat and will be opening a TAC case for answers.  I'll let you know what I find.

Hi,

Did you get any resolution from TAC regarding this issue. Iif yes can you please let me know how you resolved it.

Cheers

bvanturn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the hardware compatibility document it states for MCS-7835-H2 supported but with this remark:

(2) Supported, but note that Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.0 and later require minimum memory and disk size as described in the table below. For Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.0(3) and above, it is strongly recommended to upgrade to minimum 4GB RAM and 146GB disk drive; whether this is necessary for your deployment is design-dependent and depends on call volume, installed locales, dial plans, phone firmware loads, music files, etc. See technical documentation for guidance. Use http://www.cisco.com/go/swonly to get supported memory and disk part numbers.

MCS 7835
memory: 2 GB for -H2, -I2 and older. For version 8.0(3) or higher, 4 GB strongly recommended.
HD: 72 GB for -H2, -I2 and older. For version 8.0(3) or higher, 146 GB strongly recommended.

Likely the release after 8.5 (if not 8.5 as well) will enforce the usage of these parameters. So provided these server models would still be supported at that time, you may wan to consider replacing this now.

This used to be the cisco part number: HDD-7835-H2-146= However this appears to be end of sale this is the migration option we offer:

Customers may be able to continue to purchase the Cisco 7800 Series Media Convergence Server Spare Parts through the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program. Refurbished units may be available in limited supply for sale in certain countries on a first-come, first-served basis until the Last Date of Support has been reached. For information about the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program, go to: http://www.cisco.com/go/eos. 

If you require further info about acquiring hard disk or memory I would suggest you to address that with your account team.

So as the documentation states you can also run with 2GB memory and 72GB hard drive. It is specifically in case you have many locales, tftp custom files, ... that you could potentially run into problems. Or you can choose to migrate to different hardware as well.

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

The MCS7835-H2 is a re-badged HP DL380-G5 server.

Table 23 of the link below shows the HP equivalent parts of this server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/product_solution_overview09186a0080107d79.html

It may be seen that the current server will have two 1GB PC2-5300 memory modules installed.

To bring the server up to 4GB total add two more 1GB PC2-5300 FBDIMM modules. The HP spare part code for these is 416471-001

To replace the 72GB drives with 146GB drives you need to order two of HP spare part code 432320-001

The HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Server - Spare Parts document at the link below was the source for the part codes.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodTypeId=5351&objectID=c00752790

You should be able to buy the for a few hundred $$$$

We're in a similar situation with a 7835-H2.  I imagine one would power down the server, replace one drive, let it rebuild, power down, replace the other drive and let it rebuild, then the additional disk space would be available.  How do you make add this space to the existing OS partitions?  Does this require a reinstall of Communications Manager?

That's correct, if you want to use the new HDD fully, you'll need to do a fresh install so the partitions are now created based on the new HDDs size. Then you restore your config via DRS.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks.  TAC replied back stating that as well.

Hi guys,

Just to confirm, does v8.5 work with the 2 GB RAM & 72 GB HDD? That is if we don't have lots of locals, tftp etc...

As per Hardware Compatiblity it works but it is recommened to have 4Gb memory and 144Gb drives. See footnote on the bottom.