cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with VLAN and RLAN (Audio Monitoring)

townofnewmarket
Level 1
Level 1

Here's as quick as I can tell it:

I am in building 1. In building 1 is CCM, Unity, the main voice gateway, and about 20 phones. I have 6 other buildings all hooked together with fiber. All the phones are on VLAN5.

I am trying to setup a voice recording system, and I need to setup some monitor commands. All OK so far. I am monitoring VLAN5, but only getting traffic from this site. Oddly enough, I get some traffic from another site, but not the other 5 buildings. I am a little stumped on the commands for RVLAN and all that. Can anyone assist??

Much thanks in advance. I hope that is enough info!

6 Replies 6

Here is what you need to do:

In building 2 through 6, you need to define the source of the remote span like this:

monitor session 1 source {interface (type mod/num) | vlan (vlan-id)

you said your voice is in vlan 5 so it will be something like this

monitor session 1 source vlan 5

monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 20

where the vlan 20 is where your recording system is located.

In building 1 where I suppose is your server VTP switch, you need the following:

monitor session 1 source remote vlan 20

monitor session 1 destination int fastehternet 1/10

where you have connected in fastehternet 1/10 your recording system.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

Thank you sir, that was some excellent information!! However, my recorder is also in VLAN5. So it seems like you are saying I should create a new VLAN for my recorder? Is that correct? If so , how I would collect calls on the switch that are in VLAN5 if I'm in VLAN20? Can I have multiple 'monitor session' commands per port? I am digging through Cisco docs as I type this, but would appreciate your thoughts.

In this case I recommend you to create a new VLAN for the recording system, cause with span you need to declare source/destination (5/20) in remote switches where the port is hearing, and in the switch where is your recording system the span is declare as the oposite destination/source (20/5).

You can have multiple sessions, in some switches you can have 66 sessions.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Juan Carlos Arias

Thanks. I have done the setup of the new VLAN. Now here's a question: my VTP is setup for server, and the server is the main 3560 that has the voice gateway and voice recorder, main internet connection, etc. The Cisco docs seem to indicate that I must reload the box to make the new VLAN operational....is that the case?

Thanks again!

Not true, after you create your VLAN in the VTP server switch, automatically the VLAN will be propagated to all the switchs if they are in the same domain, now you just have to create a sub-interface on the router to route this VLAN.

I was thinking, this forum is for IP Telephony, not for switching.

This must solve complete your issue.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

You are correct that the new VLAN info was immediately distributed. I created the new sub interface, but I am unsure about the IP addressing needed. For instance, the switch and all the phones are in the 192.168.x.y range, yet I put the voice recorder in a 10.0.2.x range, just to keep it really separate from everything else. (In fact it has 2 NICs, so I use the 2nd NIC with a 192.168.x.y range to rdesktop to it or access it via a web browser).

If anyone can enlighten me at all on this last step, that would be excellent!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: