cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High jitter low latency between call paths

rmittler954
Level 1
Level 1

We use SolarWinds to monitor our network for the most part. On our monitor between a few routers we see very high jitter rates but with low latency. 

I'm fairly new to Cisco - so I am not really sure where to begin to look within the routers for what could be happening. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

2 Replies 2

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

You probably have to look at utilization, if the jitter is happening during peak period with high utilization. Make sure your physical links are healthy ie. check clocking and framing errors if applicable. This might be beyond your control if you have a MPLS WAN, you probably have to investigate every device in the path.

Good luck!

Please rate useful posts.

Hi George, thank you very much for your assistance!

This is something we have checked before... We do have an MPLS line between sites but the jitter never seems to go away. I have worked with our provider extensively but nothing on their end was found to be the issue. It seems to be stemming from one site only and only between our devices. For example, we have a site in NY and a site in CA. The path between them is getting high jitter of 39.911 MS. Now this fluctuates up and down but doesn't seem to move during peak times; it is always this high even at 2am when no one is using the lines. 

None of our people on either end are complaining of any phone issues what so ever either.

Thanks! 

Russ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: