cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Home office setup question.

Michael Durham
Level 4
Level 4

I have a home office that I need to setup for the owner.  We have a 2851 with a GRE VPN setup at the office.  At the home we have a 1841 router with a GRE VPN tunnel to the officeon the 172.16.0.0 netowrk, a 7960 IP phone, and a PC.

Can I set up the router so that I just plug the IP phone into it and the PC into the phone amd not use a switch?  If so, would I use sub interfqaces?

Atthe office the IP phones are on the 192.168.2.0 network and the PC's are on the 192.168.10.0 netowrk.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brmeade
Level 4
Level 4

You should be able to do this.  If they're going to be on the same subnet, there's no need for subinterface or anything.  If you want to separate the subnets, you just need to make sure the data vlan subinterface looks like (encap dot1q xxxx native).  You would also need to hard-set the voice VLAN on the phone since it wouldn't be able to automatically learn the voice VLAN.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

brmeade
Level 4
Level 4

You should be able to do this.  If they're going to be on the same subnet, there's no need for subinterface or anything.  If you want to separate the subnets, you just need to make sure the data vlan subinterface looks like (encap dot1q xxxx native).  You would also need to hard-set the voice VLAN on the phone since it wouldn't be able to automatically learn the voice VLAN.

Thank you, I will give it a try on Saturday as I didn't bring home the cross over cable to connect a phone to a router.  Will update my results or additional questions.

Works perferct.. almost

Yes I can get to the company's network and I can start a RDP connection to a computer at the office which is what I neeed.

But, when I just waant to surf the web with my local connection, can't do it.  I think its because I have a VPN tunnel to the office.  I wonder if I could use an acl and send most traffice outside of the tunnel.  The tunnel is done on the Cisco router not via software on the PC.  Any thoughts?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: