Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I design HQ-Branch ADLS VoIP?

n.poongsawad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to run VoIP between my HQ and Branch (p2p). Any idea?

Given that consumer grade ADLS usally utilize DHCP to serve for IP's WAN interface. It's dynamically day by day.

A idea is peering IPSec VPN to form p2p between then run VoIP. Question is what is best practise to do that. Please give me some info.

Br,

Nipat.p

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best practice is to run voice over private WAN, i.e. MPLS where you can guarantee QoS. If that is not an option and VPN connection is the only option then any vpn connection is the same as the traffic cannot be guaranteed on the Internet. With that being said many customers do this and just take the chances.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd go with Chris.

If this is a BUSINESS, then I'd stay away from DSL to do VoIP.  Aside from QoS (or lack of control), another reason is the time it takes to fix an issue.  With DSL, the SLA is ... non-existence.  The logic of ISP for DSL is this:  We can take our merry time to fix your DSL.  If you think that we should put a priority then you have the wrong product and get a dedicated WAN link.

The most common issues with DSL (not just VoIP) is line issue when your attenuation goes up and/or your noise drops.  If your site gets this and you want the ISP to fix this, watch how long it'll take the ISP to even acknowledge this issue.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using a SIP provider that would have a registrar server or SIP proxy in the middle? in which case changing public IP might not be that much of an issue. If not and you have a centralised PBX, go back to the drawing board mate and get real business grade links, with proper SLA's.  Or at least get a consumer grade DSLK with a static IP so you can use IPSEC for instance, it will work but its not business grade like Chris and Leo mentioned

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best practice is to run voice over private WAN, i.e. MPLS where you can guarantee QoS. If that is not an option and VPN connection is the only option then any vpn connection is the same as the traffic cannot be guaranteed on the Internet. With that being said many customers do this and just take the chances.

HTH,

Chris

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd go with Chris.

If this is a BUSINESS, then I'd stay away from DSL to do VoIP.  Aside from QoS (or lack of control), another reason is the time it takes to fix an issue.  With DSL, the SLA is ... non-existence.  The logic of ISP for DSL is this:  We can take our merry time to fix your DSL.  If you think that we should put a priority then you have the wrong product and get a dedicated WAN link.

The most common issues with DSL (not just VoIP) is line issue when your attenuation goes up and/or your noise drops.  If your site gets this and you want the ISP to fix this, watch how long it'll take the ISP to even acknowledge this issue.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using a SIP provider that would have a registrar server or SIP proxy in the middle? in which case changing public IP might not be that much of an issue. If not and you have a centralised PBX, go back to the drawing board mate and get real business grade links, with proper SLA's.  Or at least get a consumer grade DSLK with a static IP so you can use IPSEC for instance, it will work but its not business grade like Chris and Leo mentioned

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: