cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does a single cisco router network enable outgoing calls for small businesses if no dial plan is used

John Cheetley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Cisco techs,

I was recently asked this question at work from the rest of my team as they know I am doing studies for cisco ICND 1 & 2.

And couldn't answer them.

Or does this require more information like hardware used etc?

Had searched Google to ambiguous results.

Can someone give me a link to advise please

Thanks in advance again..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Suresh Hudda
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear,

For small business (up to max 450 users) we use Call Manager Express (CME) which is configured on Cisco Voice router.

If no dial plan is used or configured then none of callmanager can do external outgoing/internal calls. Dial plan is basic thing which must be configured on cisco voice router (e.g. CME).

If you have configured Phones (ephone & ephone dn) and if they are registered on callmanager express then for internal calls you dont need to configure dial plan because callmnager have all the information of its phones.

If you want to  have external incoming/outgoing calls for CME then you will have to create dial peers/dial plan.

For a CME lab setup, you can visit below link.

http://cisco.jjc.edu/cnt208/PDF/CCNP4_lab_2_1_en.pdf

Suresh

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Suresh Hudda
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear,

For small business (up to max 450 users) we use Call Manager Express (CME) which is configured on Cisco Voice router.

If no dial plan is used or configured then none of callmanager can do external outgoing/internal calls. Dial plan is basic thing which must be configured on cisco voice router (e.g. CME).

If you have configured Phones (ephone & ephone dn) and if they are registered on callmanager express then for internal calls you dont need to configure dial plan because callmnager have all the information of its phones.

If you want to  have external incoming/outgoing calls for CME then you will have to create dial peers/dial plan.

For a CME lab setup, you can visit below link.

http://cisco.jjc.edu/cnt208/PDF/CCNP4_lab_2_1_en.pdf

Suresh