cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does a voice gateway handle a call received from CUCM?

Sean Franklin
Level 1
Level 1

For example, I have a voice gateway configured via a SIP trunk as a device in CUCM. When our users dial the international pattern (8011!) and CUCM forwards that to the device(gateway) over the SIP trunk, how does the gateway handle that request in terms of matching dial-peers? Is it handled the same way a call incoming from the PSTN would be? By matching the destination pattern?

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is figure out whether our international calling is configured properly but that's difficult to do If I don't know what the gateway is doing with the call once it receives it from the CUCM.

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7

Brian Meade
Level 7
Level 7

Well you first have to match an incoming dial-peer.  That's usually done by having "incoming called-number ." on one of the voip dial-peers but can also be matched based on answer-address or destination-pattern by matching the calling number.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interoperability_systems/c_ipics/201/design/guide/srnd/sr201dpr.html

You then match an outgoing dial-peer using the destination-pattern.  The process is pretty much exactly the same as POTS dial-peer matching.

Thanks for the quick reply.. So I see that we have incoming called number . on two of our patterns. I assume that those would match incoming calls but . represents only one digit so I'm a little confused there. Also our INTL pattern on the CUCM side is 8011! but on the gateway it's 9011T with prefix 011 set. So I know that if a POTS user made an international call it would strip 9011 then prefix the number with 011 and all would be right in the universe. But when the gateway receives that call from our CUCM server, there is no stripping so I'm not sure how that dial-peer is handling it. Furthermore, 8011! wouldn't match 9011T right? I don't see a destination dial-peer that would match it otherwise.

incoming called-number . will match any called number, not just one digit called numbers.

Are you stripping the 8 from the number on the router pattern in CUCM or under Called Party Transformations?  If not, you can either set it up to strip the 8 and prefix the 9 by changing the route pattern to 8.011! and changing discard digits to pre-dot and then put 9 in the prefix digits box on your route pattern.  That way it will send 9011T format to the voice gateway.

You could try running "debug voice ccapi inout" on the voice gateway during a test international call to see what format the called number is coming in with.

Thanks, we have a conference call Monday and I'll try some debugging to see what's going on. I am a little more confused now if that's possible because my understanding is that they can make INTL calls but based off of the configs I've seen and what you've told me they should be able to. Below are my configs. There is a translation profile applied but it points to a blank rule. I also didn't see any transformations in the route pattern.

!
!
mgcp profile default
!
!         
dial-peer voice 1 pots
 incoming called-number .
 direct-inward-dial
 port 0/0/0:23
!
dial-peer voice 100 voip
 incoming called-number .
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 codec g711ulaw
 ip qos dscp cs3 signaling
 no vad
!
dial-peer voice 101 voip
 destination-pattern 5...
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:x.x.x.x
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 codec g711ulaw
 ip qos dscp cs3 signaling
 no vad
!
dial-peer voice 2 pots
 destination-pattern 911
 forward-digits all
!
dial-peer voice 3 pots
 destination-pattern 9[94]11
 forward-digits 3
!
dial-peer voice 5 pots
 translation-profile outgoing NATL
 destination-pattern 9[2-9]......
 forward-digits 7
!
dial-peer voice 6 pots
 destination-pattern 9707[2-9]......
!
dial-peer voice 7 pots
 destination-pattern 91[2-9]..[2-9]......
 forward-digits 11
!
dial-peer voice 8 pots
 translation-profile outgoing INTL
 destination-pattern 9011T
 prefix 011

!
voice translation-rule 10
 rule 1 // // type any international plan any unknown

Are you sure the route list points to this gateway?  Maybe it's going out another device?  Also might have called party transformations applied in CallManager.

It's definitely pointing at this gateway. I searched under call routing and found a CALLING transformation. Under pattern it has (!) and the action is to prefix with 9011. There are two other transformations that I know don't represent INTL calling as they're clearly local and LD.

So my new questions are why ! and how does that fit into (8011!)?

Thanks for your help!!!

The calling transformation here probably isn't being used for this.

Try doing a dialed number analyzer for an international number and see what it shows.  It should show all number modifications before it is sent out to the gateway.