cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does CUCM "system version" relate to patch versions?

elsiejallen
Level 1
Level 1

I am writing code to verify that the version I retrieved from CUCM (e.g. 7.1.5.34900-7) includes a security fix found in a particular patch/update (e.g. 7.1(5b)su6a). Given that the patch versions found in bullitins are not in the same format as what I appear able to retrieve, this has given rise to much confusion and a few questions.

Is there a strict 1 to 1 relationship between the versions I can retrieve from CUCM (available on the home page, e.g. "System version: 8.6.2.23900-10") and the versions listed in bulletins (e.g. 8.6.2SU3)? In other words, will there ever be a single "system version" that will relate to more than one "CUCM version" or the otherway around? There is a document that goes over upgrade compatibility that has a table mapping "system version" to "CUCM version", and I have been using that to look up correspondances.

I read here that the format of the system version is Major.Minor.Release.Build-InHouseBuild. The article also states that the "build" part can increment by 1,000 for non-CUCM patches (i.e. OS security patch). The example they gave (which may or may not be real) is 6.1.2.2000 and 6.1.2.1112. The claim is that the latter contains CUCM patches that former does not. Do I need to ignore the "thousand" digit then when comparing? Or will this not occur in the wild with CUCM security updates?

Bonus question! Is it possible to retrieve the version in the format that I see in the bulletins and updates (e.g. 8.6.2SU3)?

I appreciate your time!

1 Reply 1

piyujain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you expand expand  7.1(5b)su6a you will find it is actually 7.1.5.35901-1 which is actually latest than

7.1.5.34900-7 so it will have all the updates available..

Refer :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2010828

Basically there is the long form and the short form.

7.1(3) = 7.1.3.10000-11

Usually  the 7.1(3) maps to the first three . separated digits, and then the  initial version would have a number like 10000 followed by a build  number or something... 3a would have 20000, 3b 30000.

7.1(3a) = 7.1.3.20000-2

7.1(3b) = 7.1.3.30000-1

Of  course, anything after the 7.1.3 bit in these numbers is liable to  pretty random (in initial 'a/b' releases and especially on anything in  between such as service updates), so you can look up the version numbers  in a couple of places:

- When downloading

- In the upgrade matrix : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43011

Regards

Piyush

Rate all the helpful posts..