Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

How to add cisco IP phones over the VPN???

hi guys,
i have a confusion in my mind that i wana share with
my Head office is in dubai and i need to configure some cisco ip phones at two remote locations which are connected with HO through site to site VPN
we have a requirement to install 3 phones to SiteA and 1 phone to siteB which should only work as extensions just incase to communicate with HO
i'm aware ho to add phones in call manager( o by the way our call manager is kept in HO)
but what configuration do i need to put on the routers of siteA & SiteB so the phones get registered with call manager over the VPN
even i have already add the phones in call manager
do i need to put
ip helper-address a.b.c.d ( in vlans of local switches where phones are supposed to be connect) ????
a.b.c.d is ip of our call manager
Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re:How to add cisco IP phones over the VPN???

The ip-helper address is not to point to a CUCM server but to point to the DHCP server. You should configure the ip-helper address followed by the ip address of your DHCP server. Also make sure that your DHCP pools have the correct option 150.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
7 REPLIES

Re: How to add cisco IP phones over the VPN???

Is CUCM your DHCP server?

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
Community Member

no CUCM is not dhcp
why I'm giving helper-address to get register with call manger ( that's I'm not sure m i doing right)

The ip-helper address is not to point to a CUCM server but to point to the DHCP server. You should configure the ip-helper address followed by the ip address of your DHCP server. Also make sure that your DHCP pools have the correct option 150.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
Community Member

Hi Yahsil!!!!!

i tried option 150 ip ( call manager ip)

but after this phones stuck in '' configuring IP '' then i disabled DHCP on phone and out the IP, Subnet Mask, GW, DNS, and TFTP1 (primary call manager) TFTP2 ( secondary call manager)

For my site A after putting manually IPs phones get registered with call manager but for siteB i tried both manual and also with DHCP but every time phone stuck in '' configuring IP '' state

i'm able to ping our call managers from siteB

Salman,

Try the following below:

SiteB Phone

1 - On the phone go to Settings>Security Configuration>Trust List>ITL File. From here you will need to unlock the phone by typing **# and then at the bottom right you will see erase; click the erase softkey.

2 - Factory reset the phone. You will need to click the Settings button and then dial 123456789*0#

*** You will need to have DHCP configured on the network, in order for the phone to get the TFTP address and download its new firmware. If the phone is unable to find the TFTP server, you will not be able to manually confiugre the phone anymore, since the phone will not have a firmware. You will need to then install a TFTPd32 on your PC and download the firmware for the phone, from Cisco and change the DHCP Option 150 to your PC's address***

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
Community Member

hi yasheil

i just check ur post now
but before that as a part of troubleshooting i plugged a laptop with the same port on which ip phone was connected and assigned the same static ip which i was assigning to ip phone and PING the call manager and was able to ping the call manager
actually we are having one cyberoam firewall on siteB, then i assume that might possible firewall is blocking the traffic coming from ip phone
Then i create one rule and mention the source ip as of ip phone and mentioned the destination ips as of our both call managers and connect the IP phone back to that same port, after that phone was start getting register and then finally phone become up

Salman,

So your issue has been isolated to the firewall rules. I'm glad you were able to get your issue resolved.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content