cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to....auto answer calls and place in holding area with marketing message

CUCM 7.1.5

Unity 8.6

We have a site which is 24 hours, 2 receptionists and Cisco 7942s

I'd like to set up so if they get a 3rd call, rather than the call hanging until they can deal with it, the call gets automatically answered and goes to a holding area where the caller listens to a marketing message until a receptionist can deal with it.

At the moment they have a hunt pilot of 4000 which rings both phones (4001 & 4002) as a broadcast. 4001 has a busy trigger of 1, 4002 has no busy trigger, so 4002 is the phone where callers will add up until dealt with.

We don't want a voicemail box as we don't want people leaving messages.

Thanks for reading.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to....auto answer calls and place in holding area with m

Hi Charles,

Well... Rob, Yosh and Greg told you great information about what your options are, if you want to achieve this.

I want to give you a "workaround", that is not the best way to achieve what you want, but I think you could try it. Just one question: ¿are you using Unity or Unity Connection?. If you are using Connection you can try this (don't remember if Unity have this same options, because I have a couple of years without working with Unity):

1) Add a second line to both phones, lets say DN 4000 with busy trigger 1.

2) Send the call to your Unity, where there will be a callhandler that handles the call at the first time, in the callhandler you have a "Transfer Rules" configuration option. Being there, you can use the "Transfer Action" option, where you can transfer calls to a extension, that extension will be DN 4000. If Unity tries to transfer a second call, it will use the "If extension is busy" parameter, there you can use the "Put Callers on Hold Without Asking" value. When the receptionist is done with the first call, the Unity knows about that and then send the second call.

3) If you want the callers to listen a marketing message you will need a separete unity voice ports with a different MOH audio source, because Unity puts the callers on hold.

Hope this can be helpful

Gabriel.

8 REPLIES

How to....auto answer calls and place in holding area with marke

There's nothing in CUCM or CUC that can queue calls and then be forwarded to the first available receptionist. What the receptionist can do is Park the call and call the Parked call, when he\she is available. Aside from CUCM or CUC, you would need to look into Cisco Unified Contact Center Express and or running a B-ACD script on a CME router.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

So with CUCM 9.X you do have the feature of native call queuing was added.  You may want to read up on the feature.  I have never implemented it myself yet... Was planning on labing it out sometime soon.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Charles,

My friends Yosh & Gregory beat me to the punch with their great info

here (+5 each guys )

CUCM 9.x adds this nice feature;

Call Queuing considerations

Unified  CM provides call queuing natively to users so that callers can be held  in a queue until hunt members are available to answer them. Callers in a  queue receive an initial greeting announcement followed by music on  hold or tone on hold. If the caller remains in queue for a period of  time, a secondary announcement is played at a configured interval until  the call can be answered—or until the maximum wait timer expires.

Call Queuing operation

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration considerations

The  Call Queuing feature provides an enhanced capability to handle incoming  calls to a hunt pilot number. When an incoming call reaches the hunt  pilot, the following capabilities are provided:

• A caller may be connected to an initial customizable greeting announcement before proceeding
  • If one or more line members are logged into the hunt pilot and are in  an idle state, and if no calls are queued, then the call is extended to  the line member that has been idle for the longest period of time
  • If no line members answer a call, then that caller will not be placed  in queue. The call is routed to a new destination, or disconnected,  based on the setting under "When no hunt members answer, are logged in,  or registered"
  • Calls will be placed in queue only if all members are busy.
  • If a line member does not answer a queue-enabled call, that line member  is logged off the hunt group only if the setting "Automatically Logout  Hunt Member on No Answer" is selected on the line group page
  • While the caller is in the queue they may hear Music On Hold and a repeating (customizable) periodic announcement
  • Once a line member becomes idle, the caller with the longest wait time  across multiple hunt groups is extended to the idle line member. If the  idle line member does not answer the call, the caller is returned to  their previous position in the queue
  • If a queued call exceeds its maximum wait time, it can be routed to  another pattern or it can be disconnected, depending upon how the hunt  pilot configuration is configured
  • If the maximum number of callers allowed in queue has been reached, any  subsequent caller can be routed to another pattern or disconnected,  depending upon how the hunt pilot configuration is configured
  • Line  members can display the queue status of their queue-enabled hunt pilots  (in other words, the hunt pilots with which they are associated). The  queue status display provides the following types of information:
    • Hunt pilot pattern
    • Number of queued callers on each hunt pilot
    • Longest waiting time

For shared-line deployments, the availability of all devices with  that shared-line are combined to provide a final status. If a  shared-line device for one or members appears as on-hook, but all others  are indicating off-hook, the final status for that line member remains  off-hook.

Call queuing works in conjunction with existing hunt pilots, but  there are no changes in the behavior of the hunting mechanism for either  queuing or non-queuing hunt pilots. There are, however; specific  features associated with hunt pilots that have call queuing enabled:

1. Queuing-enabled  hunt pilot calls can only be received by line members one call at a  time. Two queuing-enabled hunt pilot calls cannot be offered to a line  member (no matter what the busy trigger is set to). This does not limit a  line member to only receive calls directly to their DN or from  non-queuing hunt pilots.
  2. Line  members who do not answer hunt pilot routed calls are automatically  logged out. A line member is automatically logged out of a device if the  line member receives a queuing-enabled hunt pilot call and does not  answer the call until an RNA reversion time-out occurs. In the case of a  shared-line deployment, all devices configured with the same  shared-line are logged out. This behavior can be configured from the  Line group page setting "Automatically Logout Hunt Member on No Answer" -  line  members are logged out only if this has been set.

While the calling party is in queue, the caller receives a MoH  treatment depending upon the network MoH settings for that hunt pilot.  There is option available to play the initial announcement first and  then offer a call to a hunt pilot. If the call is not answered by any of  the line members, the caller is placed on hold (in queue) with an  announcement provided periodically in addition to MoH. The second option  involves offering the call to a hunt pilot DN first, and then place  caller on hold (in queue) if the call is not answered. Again, an  announcement is provided periodically in addition to MoH. When a line  member becomes available to answer the next caller in the queue, the  call that has been in the queue the longest is offered to line member.  If the line member does not answer the call, the caller is placed back  in the queue at the same position.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_1_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_C3E0EFA0_00_cucm-features-services-guide-91_chapter_01000.html

Cheers!

Rob

"A smile relieves a heart that grieves" 

- Stones

Rob,

+5 Friend you always have great information. I wasn't even aware that 9.x could do that. I'm going to have to start reading that 9.x SRND

Hope all is well.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
Hall of Fame Super Red

Hey Yosh,

Thanks for your kind words buddy! I hope life is treating you well

Cheers!

Rob

"A smile relieves a heart that grieves" 

- Stones

Re: How to....auto answer calls and place in holding area with m

Hi Charles,

Well... Rob, Yosh and Greg told you great information about what your options are, if you want to achieve this.

I want to give you a "workaround", that is not the best way to achieve what you want, but I think you could try it. Just one question: ¿are you using Unity or Unity Connection?. If you are using Connection you can try this (don't remember if Unity have this same options, because I have a couple of years without working with Unity):

1) Add a second line to both phones, lets say DN 4000 with busy trigger 1.

2) Send the call to your Unity, where there will be a callhandler that handles the call at the first time, in the callhandler you have a "Transfer Rules" configuration option. Being there, you can use the "Transfer Action" option, where you can transfer calls to a extension, that extension will be DN 4000. If Unity tries to transfer a second call, it will use the "If extension is busy" parameter, there you can use the "Put Callers on Hold Without Asking" value. When the receptionist is done with the first call, the Unity knows about that and then send the second call.

3) If you want the callers to listen a marketing message you will need a separete unity voice ports with a different MOH audio source, because Unity puts the callers on hold.

Hope this can be helpful

Gabriel.

Hi Gabriel,

Sounds good and I will look into it. Thought that I could leverage Unty Connection in some way, but we've only recently had it upgraded from Unity 4 (!!) and I'm not 100% on it yet.

I take it this is something you've done. If I get problems could I PM you pls?

As we're still on CUCM 7.1.5, jumping to v9 is a helluva job, so thanks guys for pointing out about the Call Queuing available on v9 but we're not ready.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content