cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine what turned on a message light?

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

CUCM 10 with an 8945 SCCP phone.  The phoen has the message light on, but I see no reason why it should be on.  There's no voice mail connected with this phone but the red message light that shows through the handset is on and there's a red message icon on the screen next to the DN for this phone.  Is there some place I can go to check to see what entity actually turned on this light?....or just some way in general to find out why the light came on?  

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey there,

If you're new to CUCM, I'd suggest you read the following doc.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/44911/tracking-h323-calls-cucm-sdi-traces

It's a good start to trace reading.

Now for your original issue, starting with CUCM 9.x, the CCM service traces were set to Detailed by default, so the traces may contain the information that you are looking for, unless they have already been overwritten. In that case, we unfortunately cannot find out what entity caused the light to switch on.

Once you have the traces, you should be looking for a digit analysis made for the MWI on numer followed by the DN. For instance, if the mwi on number is 9999 and the phone line who's light was on was 1001. Then the MWI light was switched on when 99991001 was dialed. Therefore, you should look for dd="99991001" as the search string in the traces.

This is a document on collecting the right traces for different scenarios.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/126941/cucm-trace-lookup-different-scenarios

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CUCM traces would tell you that.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I'm somewhat new to the troubleshooting functions of CUCM (have Avaya backgrond)...so you'll have to elaborate a little more :-)   I know of the RTMT and I have that installed, but I couldn't find any obvious trace I could do when looking there and also didn't see anything that looked like I should be using on the CUCM admin or serviceability web pages....so I'm just not sure where to start and where to look.

Anyone?....  Still looking for info on how to research what turned on the MWI.  :-)

Hey there,

If you're new to CUCM, I'd suggest you read the following doc.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/44911/tracking-h323-calls-cucm-sdi-traces

It's a good start to trace reading.

Now for your original issue, starting with CUCM 9.x, the CCM service traces were set to Detailed by default, so the traces may contain the information that you are looking for, unless they have already been overwritten. In that case, we unfortunately cannot find out what entity caused the light to switch on.

Once you have the traces, you should be looking for a digit analysis made for the MWI on numer followed by the DN. For instance, if the mwi on number is 9999 and the phone line who's light was on was 1001. Then the MWI light was switched on when 99991001 was dialed. Therefore, you should look for dd="99991001" as the search string in the traces.

This is a document on collecting the right traces for different scenarios.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/126941/cucm-trace-lookup-different-scenarios

Great, thanks for the info.  I'll look at the links you've provided.

But actually, this newly deployed CUCM does not yet have the MWI On and Off numbers defined yet.  I looked to be sure and I even had to assign one just so I could get the light turned off.  So, I'm not even sure how the light came on.  I assumed it was something more involved like something in a SIP message that instructed the light to turn on, but I don't know.   (That's a SCCP loaded phone by the way).  It's just a mystery to me how the light came on.  I'll try to dig deeper and hopefully the info is still there and not overwritten by now.

Very odd.. In that case I don't think it was the CUCM responsible for this. How old is this phone? Where was it connected to before?

Is the integration with CUC already in place? Have end users already been configured?

SIP messages can't turn on the MWI on the sccp phone.. so that's not a reason either.

It was a new phone before given to this user.  

We do have integration with Microsoft Unified Messaging, but since this CUCM is still new and not completely built out to be ready for all users to be moved over, I didn't enable this person for unified messaging on the Exchange server.  At least, not for the Cisco phone.  He has MS UM enabled for his Avaya phone and MS UM sends the MWI to the Avaya SIP server in that case, which would then turn on his Avaya light.  I'm wondering if it's possible somehow that Exchange really did somehow send a message to CUCM to turn on his light.  I think that's the most likely cause so far.  

I do have CUCM intetgrated and working with MS UM for my phone and one other, so technically there IS a path for MS UM to get to CUCM....so again, maybe something odd happened and MS UM really did turn on his light even though it should have never tried to send that type of message to the CUCM.  I just wanted to find a way to trace it and see what happened.  

Yes that seems to be the most likely culprit.  The fact that this user already has a mailbox on MS and there is a route from MS to CUCM. 

You'll need to look at the traces to confirm how it happened though. Without that, we can't be certain about it.

Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: