cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Disassemble the 8851 series phone

bstudebaker
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody tell me how to disasemble the 88xx series cisco phone, i get all the screws out and it opens most the way up but i seem to be missing something on the top edge, not sure if its a clip or what but i dont want to break it.

edit: i had a user who spilt coffee on their phone and the # key doesnt work so i wanted to get in there and clean the contact so i dont have to purchace a whole new phone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jnelson99
Level 1
Level 1

You probably already figured it out, but I'll post anyway in case someone else needs to disassemble a 88XX series phone. I have an 8811 here with the same issue.

The top edge is held together with two clips molded into the plastic.

Figure1.jpg

The clips hold the front on too tightly to get a tool in there, so you just have to work the two halves back and forth until you release the clips. There are also two tabs located near the top of the handset rest. I'm pointing to one with my screwdriver here:

Figure2.jpg

Once you get the back off, there are 16 screws holding the motherboard to the front of the case. The screen will want to stay with the front half of the case, so before removing the board, release the screen ribbon cable by sliding  the retainer back:

Figure3.jpg

With the motherboard out of the way, the button pads are exposed. Try not to touch the carbon button pads or the gold contacts on the motherboard. Skin oil will cause problems in the future.

Figure4.jpg

Lift the rubber button pads to expose the actual buttons.

Figure5.jpg 

In my case, the culprit appears to be strawberry soda.

Figure6.jpg

Reassembly is easy. Just reverse the process. The case halves snap back together easily. When reinstalling screws in plastic, always turn them backwards first until you feel them drop into the original threads. Otherwise, they will cut new threads alongside the original ones and be more likely to strip out.

I hope this helps someone.

Jarrod

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jnelson99
Level 1
Level 1

You probably already figured it out, but I'll post anyway in case someone else needs to disassemble a 88XX series phone. I have an 8811 here with the same issue.

The top edge is held together with two clips molded into the plastic.

Figure1.jpg

The clips hold the front on too tightly to get a tool in there, so you just have to work the two halves back and forth until you release the clips. There are also two tabs located near the top of the handset rest. I'm pointing to one with my screwdriver here:

Figure2.jpg

Once you get the back off, there are 16 screws holding the motherboard to the front of the case. The screen will want to stay with the front half of the case, so before removing the board, release the screen ribbon cable by sliding  the retainer back:

Figure3.jpg

With the motherboard out of the way, the button pads are exposed. Try not to touch the carbon button pads or the gold contacts on the motherboard. Skin oil will cause problems in the future.

Figure4.jpg

Lift the rubber button pads to expose the actual buttons.

Figure5.jpg 

In my case, the culprit appears to be strawberry soda.

Figure6.jpg

Reassembly is easy. Just reverse the process. The case halves snap back together easily. When reinstalling screws in plastic, always turn them backwards first until you feel them drop into the original threads. Otherwise, they will cut new threads alongside the original ones and be more likely to strip out.

I hope this helps someone.

Jarrod

Jarrod,

Thanks for your reply! I figured there were clips on the top somewhere i just wasn't sure where or how it was working. I didn't have time to figure it out and i didn't want to totally break it since only one button was not working.

I will give it a try again though when i have some time! Thank you very much for your detailed post!

Thanks,

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: