Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get Instrument ID using CDP

olcaytarazan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Let me explain our needs.We have agents who have PC Client(Cisco IP Communicator) or hardClient( CiscoIP Phone  which is connected to PC) or both of them. We need to get all InstrumentID of the phones on that PC (Soft and hard phone). I heard something like CDP(Cisco Discovery Protocol) but I have no idea how to use or where to start? Currently, we are just using CTI tookit and it would be great if I can get InstrumentIDs using this toolkit.

I really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Olcay

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That would reauire quite a bit of programming beyond CTI, recommend you contact an expereinced developer for Cisco UC environments.

It seems we don't have experienced developer who can help us about CDP right now.May be you can help us Paolo.The only solution which comes to my mind is if I can run "show cdp neighbors details" in SSH session using our desktop application and parse the IP result and compare with the PC IP which desktop application runs on. But we will run our desktop application on many PC and i am not sure the impact of this solution.

On the other hand, i wonder how do you implement your CTI  application. All the time, let users to enter instrumentID for their agents.

Using CDP it can be done as you say. CTI not useful. There are many able programmers if you look around.

olcaytarazan
Level 1
Level 1

Using wireshark I can see CDP ping packages and get deviceID.But i am not sure how to query InstrumentID using deviceID.Any help on that

Actually I never heard of "instrument ID" in Cisco nomenclature, you can use the mac-address table to gather MAC address, or HTTP query to get the serial number too.

Thanks for your support Paolo.

I can use MAC address.Since Softclient uses PC MAC address, I can get softclient MAC address but when i type 'ipconfig  all' or 'arp -a' in command prompt on my PC, i can't see MAC address of hardclient.

As mentioned above, that MAC address is visibile on the switch.

So MAC address of hardphone which is connected to PC is not visible from PC?           

On the switch i can see MAC addresses. But what i need is to see MAC address of IPPhones from the PC.So when an agent wants to login, i will ask whether they want to use softphone or hardphone.Then if user selects hardphone i will get the MAC address and i will use it for login the agent

When i check with wireshark i can see CDP packages are sent and in these CDP packages there are deviceIDs which i actually need.

Since the phone never sends IP packets to the PC, its MAC address is not visibile to the PC.

Thanks Paolo.But it is weird, isn't it?.Why I can't reach a deviceID of the phone which is connected to my PC.There should be a way.

Actually we found a solution. But I can't use it since we have  user account restricitions.( our uses can't use raw sockets)I hope it will work for someone else.We captured  CDP packages using raw socket and get deviceID to log user in.

Is it possible, Hardphone sends device information to PC and PC keeps it in registry?

Hi

No, the CDP capture option is the typical way.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: