How to harvest PVDM's

Michael Ricci
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 2801 router with the following modifications

DWR_Unity#sho inv
NAME: "chassis", DESCR: "2801 chassis"
PID: CISCO2801         , VID: V04 , SN: FTX1137W12N

NAME: "WIC/VIC/HWIC 3", DESCR: "2nd generation two port FXS voice interface daug
htercard"
PID: VIC2-2FXS         , VID: V01 , SN: FOC12033REB

NAME: "PVDM 1", DESCR: "PVDMII DSP SIMM with one DSP"
PID: PVDM2-16          , VID: V01 , SN: FOC13512D4F

NAME: "AIM Service Engine 0", DESCR: "AIM Service Engine"
PID: AIM-CUE           , VID: V01 , SN: FOC10061FMD

When I modify the voice-card and enter "maximum sessions?" I get an output of "<0-0>.

Is this using the DSP's "built in" to the router?

How can I utilize the PVDM I have installed? I am trying to set up an IOS based conference bridge for testing purposes

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DSPs only exist in PVDM modules. No ISR router has any modules "built in" (i.e. soddered to the mainboard.)

Yes you can transcode a few calls using the same PVDM-16. Use the calculator; it will tell you exactly what you can do.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need at least a PVDM2-32 or a second PDVM2-16 to do conferencing. A PVDM2-16 has only a single DSP on it and this cannot be multipurposed for both termination of the analog ports and conferencing. You can use the DSP Calculator to validate any DSP configuration.

I thought the 28XX's had built in DSP resources and could act as a conference bridge.

What services can I run with my current configuration? Will I be able to transcode one codec from g.711 to G.729?

DSPs only exist in PVDM modules. No ISR router has any modules "built in" (i.e. soddered to the mainboard.)

Yes you can transcode a few calls using the same PVDM-16. Use the calculator; it will tell you exactly what you can do.