Views
Helpful
Replies

How to move a virtual machine between datastores on UCS

rcrumm_2
Level 2
Level 2

HI,

How Can I move a virtual mahcine between datastores?

Thanks,

Randall

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Or if you are asking how you move it (but not necessarily migrate it while it's live):

Option 1 - Take a backup, build a new server from the appropriate OVA in the new datastore, and then restore the backup to the new VM

Option 2 - Shut it down, browse the datastore using vSphere client, and copy the VM and all the files to the new location.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have vCenter.

Chris

Hi,

I am using the vsphere client

randall

What you're asking for requires vCenter, the feature is called Storage vMotion and you also need to have a shared storage to do so.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi

Or if you are asking how you move it (but not necessarily migrate it while it's live):

Option 1 - Take a backup, build a new server from the appropriate OVA in the new datastore, and then restore the backup to the new VM

Option 2 - Shut it down, browse the datastore using vSphere client, and copy the VM and all the files to the new location.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron,

Option 2 worked, but I had to remove and add to inventory.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: