Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to move a virtual machine between datastores on UCS

HI,

How Can I move a virtual mahcine between datastores?

Thanks,

Randall

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Hi

Or if you are asking how you move it (but not necessarily migrate it while it's live):

Option 1 - Take a backup, build a new server from the appropriate OVA in the new datastore, and then restore the backup to the new VM

Option 2 - Shut it down, browse the datastore using vSphere client, and copy the VM and all the files to the new location.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Do you have vCenter.

Chris

Hi,

I am using the vsphere client

randall

Cisco Employee

What you're asking for requires vCenter, the feature is called Storage vMotion and you also need to have a shared storage to do so.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi
Super Bronze

Hi

Or if you are asking how you move it (but not necessarily migrate it while it's live):

Option 1 - Take a backup, build a new server from the appropriate OVA in the new datastore, and then restore the backup to the new VM

Option 2 - Shut it down, browse the datastore using vSphere client, and copy the VM and all the files to the new location.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron,

Option 2 worked, but I had to remove and add to inventory.

Views
Helpful
Replies