cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remotely enable DHCP in 79xx phones?

dfokin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Currently we have several remote locations with a bunch of IP phones in each location. Now IP phones and computers reside in same VLAN, but we are planning to split them to two different VLAN's in the nearest future. The problem is, that there were no DHCP server in these locations and all phones were configured manually (yes, I know, this sound weird). Now we want to implement DHCP for voice VLAN. The problem is, that currently we have no support engineer at remote locations, who is able to enable DHCP on all phones. Is it possible to enable DHCP client on the phone remotely, for example, using SSH. Remote resetting phones to factory defaults also may be an option.

TIA!

1 Reply 1

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think there's a way to do this.  It would be a security vulnerability if you could change network settings remotely without authentication.  Perhaps if you have an authentication URL configured, you could post some query to change it, but I dont know of any, and that's going to take longer to figure out than having someone at the site make the changes.

The easiest thing is going to be to train someone at the site on how to hit the check mark box, hit hit network settings, and '**#', then go to IPv4 settings and set DHCP enabled to Yes.  You don't need a technical person to follow simple directions on a phone UI.

Or if you want to do factory defaults, train them how to hold #, plug the cable in, and hit 123456789*0#.  That shouldn't be difficult for end users to follow.  You could even take screenshots on the setting screens and make a document for them.