cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to select the required speed of switchs

monsour2012
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all  memebers I would have to ask a question about the switch spec i need.

we  have a hotel (12 floor each floor 26 ip telephony and 6 access point so  i don't think the end user really need file exchanges in the network).

my plans is to use 48 port POE switch with each port 100 mbps and layer 3 switch with gig speed connecting all togather .

do i need really catalyst switch or small busniess is OK ???.

do i need a gig speed poe switch or 100 mbps is OK  ???.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
do i need a gig speed poe switch or 100 mbps is OK  ??

You will possibly need GigabitEthernet for your wireless access point.

OK Thank to all of you .

So can someone tell me that if i can use cisco small business normally for ip telph or access point or for both ???

Thank to all for keep answering my too much question!

Thank you som much LEO and Carlo.

Hi.
I guess you hosts will use the internet connection only and make phone calls.
I think that 100 Mbps port access switch is ok.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The number of laptops/notebooks units with wired NIC are falling.  All of these now have wireless NIC as mandatory. 

So you don't really need 1Gbps interface, HOWEVER, I wouldn't recommend a wireless access point connected to a 100 Mbps port either.   If your wireless users should increase in number, the only bottleneck you'll find with slow wireless response will boil down to the wired network.

Besides, if I want to save some money, I'd be looking at what your uplink is going to be like.  There's a significant price difference if your switch has 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps uplinks.  For a guest access, you can just about get away with 1 Gbps uplink. 

Just don't be too ambitious and install 802.11ac AP.

Thank you Carlo and Leo for the replys.

OK i have come to conclusion that For IP telephony i can use (100 mbps +1000 speed for uplink connection ).

For Access points (i need 24 poe switch gig 1000 speed with 1000 mbps for uplinks).

The main problem now how i can connect all togather (because we have one internet source DSL at ground floor ) or we don't need to connect them allt togather(data+ip telephony ) note that we will use either E1 or (32 FXO port) for ip telephony to call to pstn .

and one main question do i need catalyset switch or small bus for ip telephony and Access point???

OK i have come to conclusion that For IP telephony i can use (100 mbps +1000 speed for uplink connection ).

For Access points (i need 24 poe switch gig 1000 speed with 1000 mbps for uplinks).

Depends on your budget.

You want something that can do CLI and well as stacking.

2960S has a number of models which are FastEthernet only and can do PoE as well as GigabitEthernet that can do PoE.