Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade from CUCM 8.0.3 to 8.5

shabeebmohammed
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have 1 MCS server - 7835I3 running on CUCM 8.0.3 already. Ive purchased another MCS 7835I3 to install CUCM 8.5

Ive got the CUCM 8.5 Media kit with me... Now, my problems are -

• I need to upgrade my existing CUCM to 8.5
  • What do i do about the existing licenses
  • Is there anything Im missing!!!

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Shabeeb

13 Replies 13

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

- You should check your server for compatibility here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html (it's OK)

- No licenses are needed as it's staying within the 8.x releases (i.e not a major upgrade)

- Also check any other apps you have (e.g. UCCX) for compatibility

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron Harrison wrote:

- No licenses are needed as it's staying within the 8.x releases (i.e not a major upgrade)

It depends if he's moving CUCM to this new box. In which case, he'll need a new license key. (I wasn't clear on this point)

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hey,

Thanks for clearing out my doubt in regards to the licensing.

Can you advice on how to do this upgradation (8.0.3 to 8.5).. Ive gone through many documents and many of them say different things often. Can you please suggest me the best way to take this up and forward.

@Gordon:

Presently I have 1nos MCS7835 with CUCM 8.0.3 (PUBLISHER)

I have purchased another MCS7835 to use as the SUBSCRIBER. But I want to use CUCM 8.5 instead of 8.0.3

This means, I will be installing 8.5 on both these servers. Hence, will need to upgrade the PUB. Please help on how to go ahead with this.

Regards,

Shabeeb

Shabeeb,

Just follow the upgrade guide, this is basic upgrade, upload the ISO to SFTP, and use software installation link on OS page or CLI to find it. Then click next couple of times and off you go.  Make sure you do the publisher first followed by all subscribers.

HTH,

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Shabeeb,

I'll just add a couple of notes to the great tips from Aaron,Gordon & Chris (+5 each guys!)

You probably want to upgrade your existing Pub as a first step. Here's the notes;

Software Upgrade Procedures

This section provides procedures for upgrading from either a local or a remote source and contains the following topics:

Upgrading from a Local Source

Upgrading from a Remote Source

Bridge Upgrade

Upgrading from a Local Source

To upgrade the software from local DVD, follow this procedure:

Procedure

Step 1 If you do not have a Cisco-provided upgrade disk, create an upgrade disk by burning the upgrade file that you downloaded onto a DVD as an ISO image.

Note Just copying the .iso file to the DVD will not work. Most commercial disk burning applications can create ISO image disks.

Step 2 Insert the new DVD into the disc drive on the local server that is to be upgraded.

Step 3 Log in to Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration.

Step 4 Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade.

The Software Installation/Upgrade window displays.

Step 5 From the Source list, choose DVD.

Step 6 Enter a slash (/) in the Directory field.

Step 7 To continue the upgrade process, click Next.

Step 8 Choose the upgrade version that you want to install and click Next.

Step 9 In the next window, monitor the progress of the download.

Step 10 If you want to install the upgrade and automatically reboot to the upgraded partition, choose Reboot to upgraded partition. The system restarts and is running the upgraded software.

Step 11 If you want to install the upgrade and then manually reboot to the upgraded partition at a later time, do the following steps:

a. Choose Do not reboot after upgrade.

b. Click Next.

The Upgrade Status window displays the Upgrade log.

c. When the installation completes, click Finish.

d. To restart the system and activate the upgrade, choose Settings > Version; then, click Switch Version.

The system restarts running the upgraded software.

Upgrading from a Remote Source

To upgrade the software from a network location or remote server, use the following procedure.

Note Do not use the browser controls, such as Refresh/Reload, while you are accessing Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration. Instead, use the navigation controls that are provided by the interface.

Procedure

Step 1 Put the upgrade file on an FTP or SFTP server that the server that you are upgrading can access.

Step 2 Log in to Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration.

Step 3 Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade.

The Software Installation/Upgrade window displays.

Step 4 From the Source list, choose Remote Filesystem.

Step 5 In the Directory field, enter the path to the directory that contains the patch file on the remote system.

If the upgrade file is located on a Linux or Unix server, you must enter a forward slash at the beginning of the directory path. For example, if the upgrade file is in the patches directory, you must enter/patches

If the upgrade file is located on a Windows server, remember that you are connecting to an FTP or SFTP server, so use the appropriate syntax, including

Begin the path with a forward slash (/) and use forward slashes throughout the path.

The path must start from the FTP or SFTP root directory on the server, so you cannot enter a Windows absolute path, which starts with a drive letter (for example, C:).

Step 6 In the Server field, enter the server name or IP address.

Step 7 In the User Name field, enter your user name on the remote server.

Step 8 In the User Password field, enter your password on the remote server.

Step 9 Select the transfer protocol from the Transfer Protocol field.

Step 10 To continue the upgrade process, click Next.

Step 11 Choose the upgrade version that you want to install and click Next.

If you are upgrading from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.x or 7.x, the upgrade file has the extension sgn.iso.

Step 12 In the next window, monitor the progress of the download.

Note If you lose your connection with the server or close your browser during the upgrade process, you may see the following message when you try to access the Software Upgrades menu again:

Warning: Another session is installing software, click Assume Control to take over the installation.

If you are sure you want to take over the session, click Assume Control.

If Assume Control does not display, you can also monitor the upgrade with the Real Time Monitoring Tool.

Step 13 If you want to install the upgrade and automatically reboot to the upgraded partition, choose Reboot to upgraded partition. The system restarts and runs the upgraded software.

Step 14 If you want to install the upgrade and then manually reboot to the upgraded partition at a later time, do the following steps:

a. Choose Do not reboot after upgrade.

b. Click Next.

The Upgrade Status window displays the Upgrade log.

c. When the installation completes, click Finish.

d. To restart the system and activate the upgrade, choose Settings > Version; then, click Switch Version.

The system restarts and is running the upgraded software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_5_1/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1058616

Then add your new Subscriber server @ 8.5;

Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager on a New Subscriber Server

Use this procedure to install Cisco Unified Communications Manager on a new subscriber server.

Procedure

Step 1 If you configured Network Time Protocol (NTP) on the publisher node, ensure that the publisher node is synchronized with an NTP server before you install a subscriber node. From the Command Line Interface on the publisher node, enter the command utils ntp status. Ensure that the printout indicates that the node is synchronized with an NTP server.

Note If the first node is not synchronized with an NTP server, installation of the subsequent node will fail.

Step 2 Insert the installation DVD into the tray and restart the server, so it boots from the DVD. After the server completes the boot sequence, the DVD Found window displays.

Step 3 To perform the media check, choose Yes or, to skip the media check, choose No.

The media check checks the integrity of the DVD. If your DVD has passed the media check previously, you might choose to skip the media check.

Step 4 If you choose Yes to perform the media check, the system installer performs the media check and displays the Media Check Result window. Perform these tasks:

a. If the Media Check Result displays Pass, choose OK to continue the installation.

b. If the media fails the media check, either download another copy of the software from Cisco.com or obtain another disc directly from Cisco.

Step 5 The system installer performs the following hardware checks to ensure that your system is correctly configured. If the installer makes any changes to your hardware configuration settings, you will get prompted to restart your system. Leave the DVD in the drive during the reboot.

First, the installation process checks for the correct drivers, and you may see the following warning:

No hard drives have been found. You probably need to manually choose device drivers 
for install to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?

To continue the installation, choose Yes.

The installation next checks to see whether you have a supported hardware platform. If your server does not meet the exact hardware requirements, the installation process fails with a critical error. If you think this is not correct, capture the error and report it Cisco support.

The installation process next verifies RAID configuration and BIOS settings.

Note If this step repeats, choose Yes again.

After the hardware checks complete, Product Deployment Selection window displays.

Step 6 In the Product Deployment Selection window, select Cisco Unified Communications Manager; then, choose OK.

Step 7 If software is currently installed on the server, the Overwrite Hard Drive window opens and displays the current software version on your hard drive and the version on the DVD. Choose Yes to continue with the installation or No to cancel.

Caution If you choose Yes on the Overwrite Hard Drive window, all existing data on your hard drive gets overwritten and destroyed.

Step 8 The Platform Installation Wizard window displays.

Step 9 To configure the platform now, choose Proceed.

Step 10 In the Basic Install window, choose Continue to install the software version on the DVD.

Step 11 When the Timezone Configuration displays, choose the appropriate time zone for the server and then choose OK.

The Auto Negotiation Configuration window displays.

Step 12 The installation process allows you to automatically set the speed and duplex settings of the Ethernet network interface card (NIC) by using automatic negotiation. You can change this setting after installation.

To enable automatic negotiation, choose Yes and continue with Step 14.

The MTU Configuration window displays.

Note To use this option, ensure that your hub or Ethernet switch supports automatic negotiation.

To disable automatic negotiation, choose No and continue with Step 13.

The NIC Speed and Duplex Configuration window displays.

Step 13 If you chose to disable automatic negotiation, manually choose the appropriate NIC speed and duplex settings now and choose OK to continue.

The MTU Configuration window displays.

Step 14 In the MTU Configuration window, you can change the MTU size from the operating system default.

The maximum transmission unit (MTU) represents the largest packet, in bytes, that this host will transmit on the network. If you are unsure of the MTU setting for your network, use the default value, which is 1500 bytes.

Caution Configuring the MTU size incorrectly can affect your network performance.

To accept the default value (1500 bytes), choose No.

To change the MTU size from the operating system default, choose Yes, enter the new MTU size, and choose OK.

The DHCP Configuration window displays.

Step 15 For network configuration, you can choose to either set up static network IP address for the node or to use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).

If you have a DHCP server that is configured in your network and want to use DHCP, choose Yes and continue with Step 17.

The Administrator Login Configuration window displays.

If you want to configure static IP address for the node, choose No and continue with Step 15.

The Static Network Configuration window displays.

Step 16 If you chose not to use DHCP, enter your static network configuration values and choose OK. See Table 3 for field descriptions.

The DNS Client Configuration window displays.

Step 17 To enable DNS, choose Yes, enter your DNS client information, and choose OK. See Table 3 for field descriptions.

The Administrator Login Configuration window displays.

Step 18 Enter your Administrator login and password from Table 2.

The Certificate Signing Request Information window displays.

Step 19 Enter your certificate signing request information and choose OK.

The First Node Configuration window displays.

Step 20 To configure this server as a subsequent node in the cluster, choose No.

The First Node Configuration window displays.

Caution You must configure a subsequent node on the first node by using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration before you install the subsequent node. For more information, see the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

Step 21 On the First Node Configuration window, read the Warning and make sure that you have correctly configured the first node. To continue with the installation of the subsequent node, choose OK.

The Network Connectivity Test Configuration window displays.

Step 22 During installation of a subsequent node, the system checks to ensure that the subsequent node can connect to the first node.

To pause the installation after the system successfully verifies network connectivity, choose Yes.

To continue the installation with a pause, choose No.

The First Node Access Configuration window displays.

Step 23 Enter the first node connectivity information to enable this subscriber node to connect to the subscriber node.

If you chose to pause the system after the system successfully verified network connectivity, the Successful Connection to First Node window displays. Choose Continue.

Note If the network connectivity test fails, the system always stops and allows you to go back and reenter the parameter information.

The SMTP Host Configuration window displays.

Step 24 If you want to configure an SMTP server, choose Yes and enter the SMTP server name.

Note You must configure an SMTP server to use certain operating system features; however, you can also configure an SMTP server later by using the operating system GUI or the command line interface.

The Platform Configuration Confirmation window displays.

Step 25 To start installing the software, choose OK, or if you want to change the configuration, choose Back.

Step 26 When the installation process completes, you get prompted to log in by using the Administrator account and password.

Step 27 Complete the rest of the tasks in the "Replacing a Subscriber or Dedicated TFTP Server Node" section.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_5_1/cluster/clstr851.html#wp97669

Cheers!

Rob

"Everything is broken" - Bob Dylan

Hey Guys,

Im extremely sorry.. A major typo error. I wanted to upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.6

This is supported on this MCS. KIndly advice if I will have to follow the same steps. Or is it something different.

Regards,

Shabeeb

The core process is basically the same. But for the existing PUB being upgraded to 8.6.2 from 8.0.3, you'll need to install the COP file first. If your new SUB is going to be 8.6.2 straight away (i.e. you add it after the PUB upgrade) there's nothing to worry about on that.

Oh - and the upgrade to 8.6.2 from 8.0.3 will involve several hours disruption as the upgrade involves a major uprade to the underlyinh RedHat Linux O/S.

GTG

Gordon,

When you say "a major upgrade" how bad is it going to be.. and what all do i have to do in it???

Regards,

Shabeeb

Normally, with a CUCM upgrade, the only outage is as the server reboots to the new version of CUCM.

With the upgrade to 8.6.2, the outage is much longer (and hour or two) as the installer has to re-install the operating system. Plus, there's the outage again once you switch versions.

Don't plan to do this during your coffee break, is all I'm saying ;-)

GTG

This means,

• We will have to take the backup of the existing 8.0.3
  • Install 8.6 from scratch
  • restore the 8.0.3 backup to the new setup

Did i get it correct??

Shabeeb

No. You can only restore a backup to the EXACT same version as it was taken from.

All you need to do is:

- Take a backup. (Just in case)

- Install the COP file. (Zero down time)

- Install 8.6.2. (An hour or twos outage)

- Switch versions (15-20 minutes outage - depends exactly on DB & server size)

- Eat, drink & be merry.

GTG

Just one more question.. (you really have been very helful)

Do you have a link to donwload the COP file.. I know it will be locked.. It will be really helpfull if I had it with me.

Shabeeb

Support -> Downloads -> IP Telephony -> Call Control -> Unified Comunications Platform -> CUCM 8.6 -> Utilities.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283782839&flowid=26422&softwareid=282204704&release=UCT&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

and then download the "COP  file for refresh upgrade paths to 8.6(1). In addition this COP file  permits the upgrade to recognize the unrestricted upgrade media or file.  This is for UCM, Unity Connection, CUCMBE5k (and IME)."

GTG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: