cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use softphone with Cups

edwardrgiuliani
Level 1
Level 1

I am just wondering how to use the the softphone function with Personal Communicator 8.5. I don't see where I can switch from a deskphone mode to a softphone mode with 8.5. I'm familiar with IP Communicator and that is working fine but I thought Cisco Personal Communicator was suppose to have a softphone mode.

I am running Call Manager 8, Presence 8 and have tried personal communicator 8 and 8.5. Is there a different install that I need to run to have this functionality? I don't mind installing personal communicator and IP communicator but it would nice to have it all in one install.

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You'll need to build a CSF device in CUCM and associate it with the user as per the configuration guide, and you should have an option on CUPC client to toggle between softphone and deksphone control mode.

Did you build the CSF device?

HTH,

Chris

I have not built the CSF device in CUCM. But still don't even see the option to toggle between softphone and deskphone in personal comm. Is the control Mode option added once the CSF device is created?

The client intentionally hides this UI option unless all of the needed configuration is in place. The deployment guide walks you through the CSF device creation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/install_upgrade/deployment/guide/dgclient.html#wp1091492

Hi Edward

Chris has it (+5) and I've somehow managed to +5 you to!

Yes, once you create the CSF device, you will be able to toggle as per the attached screen shot. There is a check box alongide the "Use my Cisco 6921 for audio" button.

You will need to associate the CSF device to the end user like you do with a desk phone.

HTH. Barry

Thanks. Awesome information guys. I think I got this working now.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: