cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HughesNet & VoIP

Michael Durham
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone ever gotten VoIP to work over HughesBet? 

I have a 2851 running IOS 15.1-4 and CME configured.  I can make can receive calls and I can hear the other end perfectly!  However, they cannot hear me much as it is too choppy.  I have tried switching from G711 to G729 but not any better (weird).  I hae tried two different SIP providers and I have even tried some QoS.

Any suggestions?

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I can make can receive calls and I can hear the other end perfectly!  However, they cannot hear me much as it is too choppy. 

One-way audio for voice is a sign of routing or NAT issue.

Leo Laohoo wrote:

I can make can receive calls and I can hear the other end perfectly!  However, they cannot hear me much as it is too choppy.

One-way audio for voice is a sign of routing or NAT issue.

OP has choppy audio (one way) apparently due to low upload bandwidth.

Not one way voice.

I don't think anything can be done about.

Good point, Paolo.

This does not make any sence to me, HughesNet is offering to sell me their VoIP $75 ATA solution yet I can't make a $7,000 router work?  Something smells here. 

What's your WAN bandwidth?

Michael Durham wrote:

This does not make any sence to me, HughesNet is offering to sell me their VoIP $75 ATA solution yet I can't make a $7,000 router work?  Something smells here. 

They may run special codec, traffic priority and other optimization for their own devices and services only, So preventing other solutions from working.

Paolo, that is the rat I think I smell. 

My bandwidth is 13-15MB download and 1-1.5 upload with 600-700ms delay.There is not DSL or cable here. Just hughesNet or 4G and when using heavy phone, 4G kills the phone's battery after about 8-10 hours even while on a charger.

It does seem to work a little better with the G729r8 codec.  Would anyone be interested in helping me create a QoS config for the 2851 router running IOS 15.1-4?  My HughesNet connects to the Gi0/0 port.

If you test with no concurrent traffic, and the voice quality is poor, no QoS configuration of any kind will help.

Beside, it would be a little complicated config with need to shape first.

Then, you cannot have no QoS inbound.

All in all, it may not even worth to do it.

Michael,

Maybe I haven't read it in this thread, but what WAN bandwidth do you have now?

Hi,

As you said that you can hear at your end but remote end can not hear properly.

The most likely issue is with bandwidth.

May be you have sufficient bandwith available but once call reaches over WAN to the remote end then the possibility could be internal bandwidth issue at their end.

Ask remote end to check their internal bandwidth or try to fetch reports for further analysis.

Regards, Nishant Savalia

Leo Laohoo wrote:

Michael,

Maybe I haven't read it in this thread, but what WAN bandwidth do you have now?

OP posted above:

My bandwidth is 13-15MB download and 1-1.5 upload with 600-700ms delay

Cool.  Make sense.

I am new to HughesNet Voice, but I’m getting complaints about my voice breaking up and serious delays on calls. Suggestions?
Can moving to a higher bandwidth significantly improve VoIP performance? I have also try to get help from HughesNet Customer service, but cut get help
Thx.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: