Views
Helpful
Replies

I performed a factory reset on 7961G, but it keeps rebooting

tyler00013
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I performed a factory reset on my Cisco 7961G by unplugging it and entering 123456789*0# as usual. I let it reboot and I see "Upgrading", then "error" while it quickly reboots. All I see is a Cisco logo now, but it will reboot continuously. Any ideas on how I can fix this? I don't think I set a TFTP server - I'd like to though. Ultimately, I want to get it off SCPP and switch it to SIP firmware if possible.

Thanks for your help.

-Tyler

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Describe your call server:  CUCM or third party

Do you have DHCP Option 150 enabled?

I don't have CUCM, so I believe third party? I want to use SIP. I downloaded the Configuration Assistant per this article hoping to convert it without that: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/5455-handset-to-sip.html

I can't see if DHCP is enabled because if I try to go to settings, I can't since it doesn't allow me when it's in the "Upgrading" state.

What kind of "third party" call server are you using?  Asterisk?  If it is Asterisk, what flavour?  

You can get a free DHCP server proggie like TFTPd32 (32- or 64-bit) and enable DHCP option 150.   

Go HERE.  I use this configuration for my 7970 to get it to talk to my Asterisk server.  Pay close attention to the firmware that's listed on the file:  It's non-negotiable.  Use this specific firmware or your 7970/7971 potentially won't talk to your non-Cisco call server.   If you need help setting up your Asterisk, go to HERE.  

If you're third-party call server is the likes of Asterisk, then you can enable DHCP and TFTP server on the same box.  

Oh, I see what you mean. I'm using 3CX, which does have 7961 listed as a support device and 3CX has a built-in provisioning server. Now my next step would be to get my Cisco device to point to my local IP to download that firmware, should I still use that XML file? How do I get that XML file on there? Using TFTP? If I can't access any of my settings on my Cisco device, how does it know to pull off from TFTP? Just curious.

I'm not familiar with 3CX but the process are all the same.  

You will still need a SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml and you'll need to put this into the same folder where the firmware is.  Your DHCP Option 150 should point to the IP address of the TFTP server where you the phone firmware files, SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml, Dialplan.xml, XMLDefaults.cnf.xml are located.