Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM&P Upgrade After CUCM?

I may have jumped the gun on a recent upgrade of our CUCM/IM&P Clusters ... CUCM was upgrade from 9 to 10.5 and versions were switched (10.5 is now active). IM&P was still on 9 and no upgrade performed. I'm getting errors in the install logs that are unclear, but leads me to believe IM&P needs to be upgraded on the inactive partitions before CUCM is switched. Anyone know if this is correct?  Can IM&P be upgraded after CUCM is switched to 10.5?  I know I can switch back ... trying to avoid that.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you review the upgrade guide???

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100_chapter_0111.html#CUCM_TK_T8C0C08B_00

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I did, and it looks like it should be upgradeable AFTER CUCM has been switched. However I receive the following message on install logs of IM&P which seems to indicate that I should have remained on 9.x. Does this make sense to you?

11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|********************************************************************************|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|ERROR: The active version of the CUCM Publisher 10.5.1.10000-7|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       is incompatible with IM and Presence 9.1. IM and Presence|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       cannot continue to run 9.1.1.31900-1 following a refresh upgrade|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       unless the CUCM Publisher is switched back to 9.1.2.10000-28.|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       Please correct the CUCM version before proceeding with another upgrade.|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       Alternatively, please select the option to switch versions and reboot|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       to IM and Presence 10.5.1.10000-9 upon successful upgrade.|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|********************************************************************************|<LVL::Info>

I'm tasked with a cluster upgrade of CuCM 9.x with IM&P 9.x to 10.5 as well and have been trying to get clarity on your exact question.  I haven't done the upgrade yet but did see in the 10.x upgrade guide for the refresh upgrade steps with CuCM and IM&P that it appears the refresh upgrade and switch version needs to be done on the CuCM cluster nodes before the IM&P cluster nodes are started. 

However, when I spoke to TAC they made it sound like all the CuCM and IM&P servers need to be upgraded into the inactive partition, then do the switch version on the CuCM Pub, the CuCM Subs, then start with the IM&P (old) pub and lately the IM&P Sub.

I'm interested in someone who has gone through this upgrade to know what the proper (successful) process and steps are.  Another question I'm trying to get answered is whether the IM&P nodes needed added to the CuCM server list as Subscribers before the upgrade?  It appears its needed on the BE6K platform but not clear for the full cluster upgrade.

Here's the short answer...

After chatting with TAC about our IM&P upgrade failure they confirmed a fault in the documentation. After upgrading CUCM and switching versions to 10x, when you upgrade IM&P you MUST select install and switch versions. If you select install but don’t switch the installation fails (and with the ambiguous error message above). The docs indicate you have the choice … but you don’t.

So, while I think you can upgrade to inactive partitions (CUCM & CUP) then coordinate switch versions in a way that will work - you may proceed with CUCM switch first, just know that when you do the CUP pub you must choose the install and switch option. So we're on 10.5, all is well.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Thanks Brian!  Just so I'm clear on what worked for your refresh upgrade you upgraded the CuCM Pub, then the CuCM subs and did a manual switch versions.  Then you did the IM&P pub you did the auto switch version during the install?

Also, did you have to pre-populate the IM&P servers in the CuCM server list or is that not necessary?

Thanks!

Scott

To answer your first question, yes. CUCM pub/sub with manual switch, IM&P pub auto-switch, then sub auto-switch.  Double-check replication on all when done ... IM&P was slow to correct itself.

Per the docs the server list should be automatic. We have not tested everything just yet as our IM&P are not in production, so please keep this in mind. Also, please check back in with your status - would be nice to know how things worked out for you.

Regards,

Brian

Brian, (+5) for the excellent updates and suggestions

Just to add to this excellent thread..

CUCM10.5 is not compatible with IM&P 9.1. Hence once you have switched your CUCM version 10.5, you must select auto switch after upgrade on your IM&P. This log confirms this.

"11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       Alternatively, please select the option to switch versions and reboot|<LVL::Info>
11/29/2014 18:39:13 upgrade_manager.sh|       to IM and Presence 10.5.1.10000-9 upon successful upgrade.|<LVL::Info>"

You can however perform your upgrade without switching versions on both CUCM and IM&P. I.e you can upgrade your cucm to 10.5 and not switch over and also upgrade your IM&P to 10.5 and not switch over. You can then schedule a convenient time to switch the cluster to 10.5

Scott,

All the configuration are auto populated. One thing to remember is that once your servers all upgraded to 10.5, you have to use your cucm login details to login to your IM&P server. This is because IM&P is not just a subscriber on the cluster even though it still has its own separate publisher database. Your old IM&P login details will no longer work.

Please rate all useful posts

Excellent points Ayodeji. Thanks for contributing.

Brian

I finished the production upgrade of our CUCM/IM&P 9.1.1 to 10.5.1SU upgrade this past weekend.  I have 3 CUCM servers and 2 IM&P servers.  The process I used was to first upgrade the CUCM Pub to inactive and did NOT do an auto switch version.  I then upgraded the CUCM Subs, then IM&P Pub, and finally the IM&P Sub and also did NOT do the auto switch version for any.

Once all nodes were done with the refresh upgrade to the inactive version I did the manual switch version via the CLI on the Pub, waited until all services came online, then proceeded with the CUCM Subs and waited for the CUCM database cluster to show all 2's or equal 6 (which took 30 to 40 min after last Sub switched).

Next I switched version on the IM&P Pub and waited for services then finally finished up with the IM&P sub.

The prep I did before starting was to reset the CCM Admin default OS AXL password to non-special characters, disabled Extension Mobility, disabled HA on IM&P, took current DRS backup, and took VM snapshots (just to have another backup option).

Post upgrade I changed the VMXNET driver on the CUCM VM servers via the PowerCLI and then did normal testing of calls, login to Jabber, etc which is basically your own company approved testing.

An issue I ran into though was the default phone firmware for 79xx phones with the included 9.3(1)SR4 firmware which impacted our UCCX call center due to bug CSCun26289, just as an FYI.

All in all the upgrade was a success, however, it took about 12 hours to complete from start to finish for 5 nodes. 

Regards,

Scott

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I did a test upgrade yesterday of a 9.1 CUCM cluster with an IM&P server to check this.

Once the CUCM Pub has 10.x install (without a switch-version), you can install 10.x on the CUCM subs and the IM&P server. You can they switch-version on the pub, let it do its stuff, then switch-version on everything else.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

That figures. TAC said they need to update the documentation in the upgrade guide.