Views
Helpful
Replies

incoming called-number . needed or not

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am new to telephony and trying to learn things which i dont understand fully.

Please let me know whether the incoming called-number . is required under the dail-peer which is pointing to the CUCM.

I understand that it is needed under POTS dail-peer if you using DID.

Thanks           

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sure you do, you always want to control which dial-peer you are hitting, so using this is like default route catch all, otherwise a default dial-peer 0 would be used, which may have adverse affect on your desired behavior.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

This is required for both POTS and voip dial-peer. I dont know what your setup is but it is best practice to do this so you can have control on what dial-peers your call is matching. The default dial-peer 0 is often used when no dial-peers are matched for the inbound leg to the gateway. As I explained, this dial-peer by default has G729 as the codec, has VAD enabled..which you do not want on a voip call. For you to change the characteristics you need to define a dial-peer that will match the inbound leg of your call and then define what codec to use, dtmf-relay, disable VAD etc...This has caused many issues for people in the past..

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

The dial-peer pointing to cucm can be both inbound and outbound from the gateway's perspective. When a call comes in from cucm to the gateway, then that will be inbound. When a call is sent to cucm from the gateway, then that will be outbound. You need dial-peers for both

dial-peer voice 1 voip

description inbound from cucm

inoming called number .

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

voice-class codec 1

no vad

dial-peer voice 2 voip

description outbound to cucm

destination-pattern 74..

session target ipv4:10.10.10.10

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

voice-class codec 1

no vad

In some cases you can have a single dial-peer for both inbound and oubound dial-peer. I dont do it because I like the flexibility of having seperate dial-peers for both

dial-peer voice 1 voip

description ***to cucm

destination-pattern 74..

session target ipv4:10.10.10.10

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

incoming called number.

voice-class codec 1

no vad

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

24 Replies 24

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Mahmood

incoming called number used to match the called number in the inbound dialpeer.Look on  E1/T1 there are a range of numbers in this case you may need to make some changes or translations only to some called numbers( part of the range) in this case this command will be useful.

Thank you

Please rate all useful information

Hi

Please find the below link which will help you:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

Thank you

islam

Hi Islam,

Correct me if am wrong.

I dont think we use . for inbound right?

Sure you do, you always want to control which dial-peer you are hitting, so using this is like default route catch all, otherwise a default dial-peer 0 would be used, which may have adverse affect on your desired behavior.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for clarifying, I was just thing in any different approach about the post and it got confused me.

Thank you

Rakesh..Chris gave a perfect answer and you only gave him 4 points....!!!

Hi Chris,

Aokan@ i guess it was a mistake in rating and now i am unable to change it. sorry for that.

You can always rate another answer here :-)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I think my question was not clear.

I am refering this to a voip dial-peer which is pointing to CUCM,so please let me know if this is required.

Thanks

Hi mahmood

No , this is not required for voip dial-peer , this is only so important for POTS dial-peer.Please do not forget to rate all useful information.

Thank you

Please rate all useful information

Yes it is required! It is a MUST as Chris has explained. Without defining this dial-peer you cant control the following: The type of Codec that your call will use, VAD, dtmf-rely types etc. This is very critical in any deployment.

Dear Aokanlawon

Is this required for POTS and VOIP ?. I did many configuration with only incoming calling-number .under  pots dial-peer  and i did not do any inocming called-numb under VOIP dial-peer and all working as expected .Can you explain please ?.This is the first time , i heared that . Is this manadtory , so why my projects work?.

Thank you

This is required for both POTS and voip dial-peer. I dont know what your setup is but it is best practice to do this so you can have control on what dial-peers your call is matching. The default dial-peer 0 is often used when no dial-peers are matched for the inbound leg to the gateway. As I explained, this dial-peer by default has G729 as the codec, has VAD enabled..which you do not want on a voip call. For you to change the characteristics you need to define a dial-peer that will match the inbound leg of your call and then define what codec to use, dtmf-relay, disable VAD etc...This has caused many issues for people in the past..

Hi

Everyone knows that under dial-peer voip should configureas destination-pattern , codec , dtmf-relay , no vad , ip of your sub or pub , but my question is regarding incoming called-number . under VOIP dial-peer . Please take a look on cisco document below why cisco not add incoming called-number under dial-peer voip , this is not only my config , many configuration even Cisco , i have advanced services configuration from Cisco for one of my projects , and they did not add this command . yes may be best , but not manadatory:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00801142f8.shtml

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: