Views
Helpful
Replies

incoming called-number . needed or not

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am new to telephony and trying to learn things which i dont understand fully.

Please let me know whether the incoming called-number . is required under the dail-peer which is pointing to the CUCM.

I understand that it is needed under POTS dail-peer if you using DID.

Thanks           

24 Replies 24

Deji is correct (+5), you should always have inbound pots and voip dial peers for the reason stated, otherwise you run into a risk of defaulting to dial-peer 0.

Chris

Dear Chris

yes , that is for sure that all have to do pots dial-peer & voip dial-peer. Our question for incoming called-number command , where should i put it ?. I know and find the URL , all inocming called-number under pots and if i did not put it , there is no issue. Please advise , i tested now on my lab , because this post make me have doubt on my previos projects and i configured without add inocming called-number  under dial-peer voip and call is very perfect and i tried also on my token on INE , with the same configuration and there is no issue.

Thank you

Islam,

Ask your self this question..How are you matching incoming voip leg of your call to the gateway? Each voip call has two legs, the inbound leg and the outboung leg. There are more than one way to match on both legs, the question is how are you matching yours.? incomin called number . is one way of matching as this capturs all calls inbound to the gateway, that includes calls coming in from CUCM and if you have a sip trunk calls coming in from your telco or if the gateway is connected to another gateway, calls coming in from that gateway..any inbound voip leg is matched on this dial-peer. If you dont have it, then how are you matching yours?

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Islam,

I agree with Chris(+5) and aokanlawon(+5). You need to control which dial-peer the incoming call-leg is hitting. If it hits dial-peer 0, vad is enabled and I have had issues with it. Of course you could do it any way you want but at the end, if the call sounds like in a tunnel or a fax call fails, you will be the one trying to figure out what went wrong.

Please rate useful posts.

Please rate useful posts.

Hi George

thanks for your post , I get point of MR/aokanlawon +10 for his perfect explanasion   and i agreed with him 100%. For SIP trunks as example , we set incoming called-number under VOIP dial-peer , may be i misunderstanding his point at the beginning.Anyway ,many thanks for all.

thank you

Hi Oaknawalan,

I understand that if there is no dial-peer then the call will hit the 0 dial-peer which is not recommended.

My question over here is that the voip dial-peer which is pointing to CUCM is outbound from the prespective of gateway so outbound call leg ,please correct me if i am wrong so will this act as a inbound dail-peer as well for incoming call from the CUCM so inbound call leg..?

Thanks

The dial-peer pointing to cucm can be both inbound and outbound from the gateway's perspective. When a call comes in from cucm to the gateway, then that will be inbound. When a call is sent to cucm from the gateway, then that will be outbound. You need dial-peers for both

dial-peer voice 1 voip

description inbound from cucm

inoming called number .

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

voice-class codec 1

no vad

dial-peer voice 2 voip

description outbound to cucm

destination-pattern 74..

session target ipv4:10.10.10.10

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

voice-class codec 1

no vad

In some cases you can have a single dial-peer for both inbound and oubound dial-peer. I dont do it because I like the flexibility of having seperate dial-peers for both

dial-peer voice 1 voip

description ***to cucm

destination-pattern 74..

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

incoming called number.

voice-class codec 1

no vad

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Hi

Makes sense now.

I have taken over  a IPT setup and due to this i am asking lot of questions over here.

I have the below example config which is acting as inbound and outbound dial-peer.

dial-peer voice 1 voip

description ***to cucm

destination-pattern 74..

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

incoming called number.

voice-class codec 1

no vad

Thanks

In that example you have your inbound dial peer matched based on incoming called number (obviously), tied to a voip dial peer (obviously). If in that scenario, a gateway would have a pots port allowing incoming calls, how's  inbound dial peer matching done, when an inbound call comes into the gateway;s pots port?

If inbound dial peer matching is done as per http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml#topic8

by narrowing down the incoming called number to, for instance, 55555... (for example)  in stead of  "  . "to represent the DID range? Curious to hear some suggestions

(just widening the discussion ;-) )

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml?referring_site=smartnavRD#topic8

you may also refer this URL to understand the inbound and outbound dial-peer matching

//Suresh Please rate all the useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: