Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increasing vCPU After a VM is Built

Due to bug CSCtu18692 I need to increase the vCPU commitment on a CUCM 8.5 VM. The publisher is pegging CPU every night during DRS and TAC's guidance says it could cause outage and should be addressed.

I've read mixed results on adding vCPU resources to a Linux VM. Some suggest a rebuild.

TIA,

Brian

2 Replies 2

Brett Fritzsch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brian,

VMware specifically says when doing this to Linux boxes you should be rebuilding the OS.  Now with that being said I have done it in the lab a couple of times now, since I have ran into the same issues.  A couple scenarios I noticed when doing this:

-One VM's services had issues starting after the reboot

-A couple ran for a couple weeks with moderate use and then unexplainable things happen to call processing

-Have had a couple VM's that havent had any problems YET....

Personally my recommendation would be to take a backup of the database and rebuild the VM.  By doing this you could save yourself hours of troubleshooting down the road for something that may not even be able to be explained.

Hope this helps!

-Brett Fritzsch

Thanks Brett, excellent feedback - thanks!

+5 stars.

Regards,

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: