cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter Cluster Trunk using H.323 Gateway

warquezho0612
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to ask if I have 2 cucm cluster and want to connect both of them, is it possible to use a H.323 Gateway to connect one cluster to the other (vice versa) or only the intercluster trunk is the way for them to connect?

9 Replies 9

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use an H323 gateway to connect two clusters or an ICT which also uses H323 directly between them.  Either will work, just remember to add your H323 gateway under Device > Gateway instead of Device > Trunk if you are going to use a gateway between clusters.

I see so when using an H.323 Gateway to connect two cluster, you will point the ip address of the callmanager in the other cluster? Correct?

You would need to point each CUCM cluster to the H323 gateway's IP address.

Correct me if I'm wrong

So when using ICT to connect two CUCM cluster, you will point the ip address of the other CUCM in the ICT configuration? Right?

And if using an H.323 Gateway, you will point the ip address to the other clusters h.323 gateway (primarily a cisco router) and not directly on the cucm? Right?

Using an ICT would look like this.

CUCM Cluster A ----  ICT ---- CUCM Cluster B

Cluster A would point to an IP address of a CUCM server in Cluster B.  Cluster B would poitn to an IP address of a CUCM server in Cluster A.

Using an H323 gateway between the two clusters like this.

CUCM Cluster A ------ H323 gateway ------ CUCM Cluster B

CUCM Cluster A points to the H323 gateway's IP address.

CUCM Cluster B points to the H323 gateway's IP address.

The H323 gateway contains dial-peers to point to the IP addresses of CUCM cluster A and CUCM cluster B.

I see, so you can't put the ip address of the cucm in each cluster when using h.323 gateway to connect two cluster.

One last question, how about if I'am using mgcp in each cluster, so how can they be connected to each other by not using ICT? Is it via h.323 gateway also? If it is, then does it look like something like this

===========MGCP===========                 ===========MGCP===========

CUCM Cluster A ------ MGCP gateway ---WAN--- MGCP gateway ------ CUCM Cluster B

cluster A uses MGCP internally

cluster B uses MGCP internally

Cluster A will add an H.323 gateway which is the MGCP gateway of CUCM cluster B? and

Cluster B will add an H.323 gateway which is the MGCP gateway of CUCM cluster A?

That's correct

You need to add each gateway to the relevant CUCM as H323 for inter cluster communications

And use same gateway as MGCP for pstn calls

Make sure you use different interfaces/loopback ip as reference in each gateway for MGCP and h323

Hope this help

Just a follow up question...So since each cluster use MGCP and lets say that there is no MGCP fallback configured on the gateways (no dial-peers). When configuring the Cluster B's MGCP gateway as an H.323 gateway for Cluster A for inter cluster communication, it needs to have dial-peers configured onto it pointing to Cluster B, vice versa? Am I right

Yes that's correct

The gateway will be operating in two different signaling protocols separately one use for pstn using MGCP

And the other will be used for inter cluster communications using VoIP dial peers in both ends

Hope this help

If helpful rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: