Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intercom Configuration Help

Greetings!

I've configured intercom for a handful of users (which, btw, was an awful experience)... and I have a couple questions about the operations of it now.

First, when someone is on a regular call, the intercom "whispers" over the handset instead of over the speakerphone. Is there anyway to shut this off and either force it to speaker only OR to trigger a "busy" when the remote side is already on the phone?

Second, is it possible to auto-initiate two-way audio instead of one-way with manual trigger for two-way?

Thanks for any assistance offered!

6 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Intercom Configuration Help

Whisper intercom will use whatever output the phone is currently set to: headset, handset, or speakerphone. If you want to hear it on the speakerphone, then put the call on speakerphone.

Intercom is not automatic two-way. You can use an auto-answer directory number to accomplish that behavior; however, it will not perform the whisper piece.

Re: Intercom Configuration Help

I think maybe you misunderstand... I'm saying that Caller A and B are on a normal call (non-intercom). Caller C attempts to use intercom, and they're heard over the handset instead of speaker. Why in the world would the solution be "put your calls on speaker"? The desired result is to keep intercom on speaker always and let other calls function as normal (handset, headset, or speaker at user discretion).

Frankly, I'd rather lose the "whisper" piece altogether. This is really only for my CEO, CFO, COO, and their secretaries' use, so they'd prefer intercom always be full auto-answer speakerphone and keep calls "normal".

VIP Super Bronze

The feature is designed to discretely insert the intercom audio into whatever output the phone is already using. You have three options:

1. Add a second phone with a DN set to auto-answer on speakerphone. Tell the user to use this phone only for intercom purposes.
  2. Go to radioshack and find a pair of intercom speakers.
  3. Tell the user to adapt.

LOL @ tell the users to adapt. My CEO is 6ft 7in. tall and wears a size 16 1/2 shoe that I really don't want up my rear-end, but I do appreciate the laugh!

OK, let me explain my configuration and see if we can't straighten this out...

We have 5 7962 phones... CEO, CFO, COO, Secretary 1, Secretary 2. Button 1 is their normal DN line appearance. Buttons 2-5 are intercom buttons that connect directly to the person labeled. Button 6 is a Call Pickup line.

Buttons 2-5 for each of those phones looks pretty much like this:

On the other end, it's the same thing, so the whole way through I always choose the "auto answer with speakerphone" option. This is why I'm a bit confused at why it's behaving in whisper function to begin with.

Any thoughts? I can provide as much info as needed.

VIP Super Bronze

The Auto Answer option is what behavior to use when the phone is idle. It is not used when there is an active call.

What you're asking for is not possible with the intercom feature in currently available releases of CUCM. You can submit an enhancement request through your Cisco AM if you want that behavior to change in the distant future.

Oh, I see what you're saying with the separate DN... you meant non-intercom DN. That might actually be easier to use now that I think about it.

Plus I can always assign it to max 1 call busy so if they're on the phone it won't disrupt the call flow.

Thanks for that suggestion!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content