cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator - No need to know MAC address of laptop?

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

I saw this on Cisco’s site.  Does this mean you can configure softphone for a user and if the user changes to a new laptop later on (which menas the MAC address will be different) it doesn’t matter?  No MAC address update needed by the system administrator?   It would be nice if we don't have to worry about the MAC address of the laptop a person is using because when you have a large group of users, there will be quite a few laptop replacements going on over time.

Feature:  Non MAC-address based device names. 

Benefit:  For Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(3) or later, device names are not based on MAC addresses, so refreshing your PC is easier.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps5475/data_sheet_c78-669663.html

Pardon all my questions.  I'm still learning about CUCM before ours is officially installed, soon.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes that is correct. You can use their initials and last name eg AOKANLAWON, DOKANLAWON, GOKANLAWON. That way you dont run into name duplication

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

yes. Your CUCM administrator may choose to use an ASCII string as the identifier for your IP Communicator.

G.

OK, are you talking about using something other than the usual SEP plus MAC address in the Device Name field?  For example, the person's name or something like that?  How does CUCM know this laptop/IP Comm. is allowed to connect if it's not based on the MAC address?  The MAC address is normally what is used to let CUCM know this device is allowed to register....so if we're not using the MAC address, how does the authentication happen (if that's what you want to call it) so CUCM knows this device is allowed to register and what phone device it's associated with in CUCM?  Hope I'm asking that right :-)

Here's an example of one of our users in Europe.  I don't normally manage that system, but I had a look at it to see how they're doing it.  For the new system in the US, I'd like to avoid the MAC address for IP Communicator, if it makes sense.

Yes,

You can just use the person's name rather than a mac address. I use my name all the time..You will need to specify the same name on the IP communicator preferences too

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

OK.   So you go into the Preference on the IP Communicator client and enter the exact Device Name you used in CUCM for the Device Name, right?  I assume we'll have to be careful (if we use this method) to avoid having duplicate names if we have two people with the same name spelling. 

Yes that is correct. You can use their initials and last name eg AOKANLAWON, DOKANLAWON, GOKANLAWON. That way you dont run into name duplication

OK, thanks.  We'll be thinking about a logical and easy device/username for these people.   I think it will be a lot easier to use something related to their name than the MAC of their laptop.   I see lots and lots of help desk tickets for our system in Europe to change people's MAC address when they get a new laptop.  I want to avoid that here in the US :-) 

Hi,

well, actually, CUCM won't let you create a device with a name that has already been inserted, avoiding duplicate identifiers.

By the way, the maximum length is still 15 characters for the device name.

G.

Thanks :-)   We'll come up with something logical to use for the device name.  Maybe something even as simple as their full 10 digit DID number, which will always be unique.  I think that makes sense.

Gergeley (+5) is right...CUCM wont allow that..

I agree with you on using names rather than MAC. I personally prefer it as it makes it easier to administer these phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: