Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7941/7942 model problem

vasanth_acharya
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

Please let me know the solution for my below problem which i am facing.

Problem:When ever i unplug and plug the LAN cable which is connected to my IP phone 7942 model, lights(Headset,Mute,speaker) will start blinking and i cannot see anything on the screen. I have restarted this phone many times(3 to 4 Times) as well i have reseted to default settings by pressing # button for few seconds and pressing 123456789*0# button to reset to default factory settings. But no luck. i am not able to see anything on the screen once i restart the IP Phone, but the lights which i have mentioned will keep blinking.

Regards,

Vasanth. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vasanth,

I am seriously of the opinion that these 3 phones are gone dead and you would need to RMA. I cant think of any bugs that would be affecting, as we are not even seeing  splash screen for the boot sequence to initiate from the flash of the phone.

Go for the RMA in my opninion.

Hope this helps

Niket

Kindly rate useful posts!!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If its one phone, i believe you need to go for an RMA the display is conked off..

Dear Nikshah,

Thanks for your comment on this. But not only one phone got effected by this. 3 to 4 phones in past 3 days having this problem. Kindly suggest on this.

Regards,

Vasanth.

Vasanth,

Interesting, are all the phones on the same switch.. also can you do a show power inline on the switch to which these phones are connected.

Niket

Dear Niket,

Please find logs from switch where these phones are connected.

SW4#sh power inline

Module   Available     Used     Remaining
          (Watts)     (Watts)    (Watts)
------   ---------   --------   ---------
1           370.0      264.6       105.4
2           370.0      252.0       118.0
Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max
                            (Watts)                           
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Fa1/0/1   auto   on         6.3     IP Phone 7942       2     15.4
Fa1/0/2   auto   on         6.3     IP Phone 7942       2     15.4

In all these interfaces has the same output.Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Vasanth.

6.3 W is about right so there is nothing worng there, we have enough power in spare as well..

So basically nothing wrong with the switchport. can you try changing cables example from a phone that is behaving well, swap it with the cable of a phone not working

Summarizing, if i understand correctly at this point all the three phones are not usable and they are continously cycling with the Headset speaker mute lights flashing.

Dear Niket,

Thanks for your comment on this. Your understanding on this issue is correct. All these phones are not usable and they are contineniously cycling with the Headset, speaker, and  mute lights flashing when it is connected. I have even checked as you have mentioned by connecting all these phones directly to switchports in the switch and even tried with other switches also. but no luck it is still the same. Kindly let me know if any possible solutions exist.

Thankyou,

Vasanth.

Vasanth,

I am seriously of the opinion that these 3 phones are gone dead and you would need to RMA. I cant think of any bugs that would be affecting, as we are not even seeing  splash screen for the boot sequence to initiate from the flash of the phone.

Go for the RMA in my opninion.

Hope this helps

Niket

Kindly rate useful posts!!

Dear Nikshah,

Thanks for your opninion, i will do the same by contacting RMA.

Regards,

Vasanth.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Were these phones working before or did you just plug them in for the first time? If they were working before then It looks like they may have gone defective, if you are just plugging them in for the first time then its a different  issue we may be looking at

Please rate all useful posts

"There is a wideness in God's mercy Like the wideness of the sea.There's a kindness in His justice Which is more than liberty"

Dear Aokanlawon,

Thanks for sharing your experiance also along with nikshah. These phones were working since 1 year and not new phones.

as per our discussion i guess screen might have gone. Is there any other way i can test whether screen is gone. Kindly let me know if any.

Thanks

Vasanth.

Hi Vasanth,

To be very honest its a little difficult to test whether the screen is gone, the very fact thats its not displaying anything it looks like a good bet that display is definitely gone . Sorry cant think much on tblshooting anything else.

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Regards

Niket

I dont think there is any point in doing that if that can be done. The phones have gone bad, just RMA them for replacements

"There is a wideness in God's mercy Like the wideness of the sea.There's a kindness in His justice Which is more than liberty"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: