Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Trunking question

Hello - Forgive this probably very basic question, I'm just now starting the processing of understanding voip.

I have a bunch of Fujitsu F9600 digital switches. Currently these switches connect to each other over private T1's and we converage data/voice over the same links using drop/insert CSU/DSU's.

I want to move the data network over to a MPLS mesh next year. The fujitsu folks tell me they used to make a IP Trunk card for this switch - so the switch to switch communications would be over IP - great. But, they don't think they have enough cards in inventory. He mentioned that there were cisco modules that did this as well.

Could someone point me in the right direction. I would assume I would connect a T1 card on the switch, to an interface WIC on the router, and router would then convert to IP, and route based on some type of internal list of extension to IP table.

1) Does this module even exist?

2) Is it compatible with the 2821?

Many Kind Thanks.

Dave

1 REPLY

Re: IP Trunking question

Dave, you've got the idea. You would need a Voice Enabled WIC card. Part # VWIC-MFT-T1 for example. There are a few other models that would also work, including two port versions, etc. You'll also need DSPs (PVDMs) that do the conversion from TDM to IP. The nice thing about the 2800 series router is the DSP slots are on board, so it's all internal chips you add to the motherboard.

Then you would need to do some dial-peer work to handle the routing. To simplify the management of this, depending on the size of your voice network, you may want to use a gatekeeper.

This is all something probably best done by a vendor unless you have some inhouse voip experience, but it is most certainly doable and actually pretty easy to setup.

Cliff

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content