cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPMA (CUMA) Message Waiting Indicator

Damian Heavey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a customer that is heavily utilizing IPMA on CUCM 7.1.3. They have a 3rd party voicemail system which uses TAPI/Cisco TSP to send MWI to the phones rather than dialling the MWI on/off numbers. The problem I am now seeing is that the MWI will not work for the manager phones. This is the absolute worst group of phones that this could happen to as they are all directors! MWI works fine for all other non-manager phones including the assistants. I have assigned a 2nd line to some of them and have managed to at least get a flashing envelope but I am really looking for a fix rather than a workaround. I don't believe that there is actually an extension pushing the MWI to the phone. All we have is a CTI route point for the voicemail pilot which is controlled by TAPI and a park CTI route point and also one for the operator console queue. I have tried allowing these CTI route points to see the manager partition but still the MWI won't work on the manager phones.

Does anybody know of any fundamental reason why TAPI might not work to push MWI to manager phones in an IPMA system?

Regards

Damian

5 Replies 5

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

From what you describe the MWI is hitting the IPMA RP as opposed to the actual manager line.

Is the manager partition higher up in the CSS than the other partition containing the IPMA RP?

I gather you have CTI Ports for the integration to the VM box.  What CSS are they looking at (the same as thr RP)?

The Voicemail CTI Route Point handles everything with this system. Since version 4.1 of CCM it doesn't need any CTI ports. The CSS of this CTI route point contains the following partitions and in this order: Device level = IPMA Managers Lines, Internal phones, Gateway. Line level = Block international calls.

I hope this makes sense to you. Basically I have thought of this and put the manager line at the top of the list for the CTI route point CSS. It's still the same. No MWI!

I wonder what line TAPI is using to initiate the MWI request and why this cannot see the manager phone the same as most of the other internal devices...

I would set tracing for CM Services > both CTI manager and CM

to arbitrary and then find both a successful MWI

message coming in and one of the manager MWI's. They will likely be identical, but it might help you determine which CSS they are hitting.

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Have you looked at the CSS for MWI in the Service parms, When I first used IPMA in ccm3.1 , our IPMA RP`s  were

5xxx as it was too cumbersome to have individual RP`s for managers or change

the managers DN`s so to have range of IPMA RP`s outiside of non-IPMA users. The MWI when it sent by our VM system was routed via the IPMA application as a normal call which stopped MWI being turned for the manager. Cisco created for us ( part of 4.1 beta testing) the MWI CSS which allows any MWI message to have it`s own CSS and hence bypass the IPMA routing which other calls have to followed due to IPMA - is this your issue as well?

Thanks for the reply. I seem to have fixed this in my lab enviroment by changing the CSS of the VM pilot. I have however just checked the customer config and the VM pilot is set with a CSS which can see the manager line partition at the top of the list. My lab is CCM 4.2. The customer site is 7.1.3.

Whereabouts is the service parameter? I can't see this under IPMA or CCM. Was it created as a response to your specific needs?

Damian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: