cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is an FXO card hot swappable?

townofnewmarket
Level 1
Level 1

I keep having a line hang on an FXO card. Can I just reset the card or will it bring down the whole 2801? (Until my phone co figures out why that line hangs)

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, VIC and WIC cards are not swappable.

Note, there are bugs or applications that can make the FXO port to hang, what IOS are you running, and do you have configured supervisory disconnect ?

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Running 12.3

How do I configure supervisory disconnect?

Suggest you upgrade to latest maintenance of 12.3 then should be 12.3(22).

For the supervisory disconnect, see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ae2d1.shtml

Note: unless you are in the US, ground-start method is to exclude. Battery reversal and power denial _may_ be available, but you have to ask your telco. Tone detection method instead, is totally based in the router.

If you want an easier, permanent solution, get ISDN BRI. No more stuck ports, and a lot of nice features to gain.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Well I do have an ISDN PRI port that I route a lot of phone lines down. That has been pretty flawless. Unfortunately, when I laid out the system, I think I made a bad judgement. I decided to keep 2 POTS lines in case CCM ever went down. And I chose the 2 POTS lines we publish as the ones to keep. So when they get hanged at the FXO, I'm SOL. And no Caller ID unless I reconfig the box.

What is the command to just reset the port?? Through IOS? Is there such a command to just bounce it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: