Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the startup process different on 6901 IP phones than 7942s??????

I am wondering if the startup process is differnet on 6901 IP phones.  After connecting a new 6901 IP phone to switch that i have already setup in Call Manager I can see it up on the network via cdp shown below.  i am wondering where the 192.168.0.109 address comes from as it isn't on this  voice vlan or any vlan on this switch? Is this something hard coded in the phone?  I always see this address when i install new 6901's but never new 7942s on same network, same switchport.

I have setup alot of 6901 IP phones and we don't use the 192.168.X.X on this network but i always see when they are new and before they have   downloaded the new firmware version.  Setting up IP phones 7942's on same network i don't see this 192.168.X.X at all.  

Example of right after i connect a new 6901 to switch-before it downloads new firmware version

-------------------------

Device ID: SEP50060473d504

Entry address(es):

IP address: 192.168.0.109

Platform: Cisco IP Phone 6901,  Capabilities: Host Phone

Interface: FastEthernet0/7,  Port ID (outgoing port): Port 1

Holdtime : 93 sec

Version :

6901.9-0-1-01-03

advertisement version: 2

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 2.640 Watts

Power request id: 1, Power management id: 0

Power request levels are:2640 0 0 0 0

Management address(es):

Example of 6901 after it has the correct firmware version.

Device ID: SEP50060473d504

Entry address(es):

IP address: 10.129.64.69

IPv6 address: ::  (global unicast)

Platform: Cisco IP Phone 6901,  Capabilities: Host Phone

Interface: FastEthernet0/7,  Port ID (outgoing port): Port 1

Holdtime : 168 sec

Version :

6901SCCP.9-3-1-2

advertisement version: 2

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 2.640 Watts

Power request id: 1, Power management id: 3

Power request levels are:2640 0 0 0 0

Management address(es):

This is the process i expected it to follow. Still wondering on why 6901's are on the 192.168.x.x network when this isn't a vaild network before they download the firmware version.

1. Obtain  power from the switch: If  you are using a Cisco switch that is capable of  providing Cisco inline  power, the switch will send a Fast Link Pulse (FLP)  signal. The switch  uses the FLP to determine if the attached device is an  unpowered Cisco  IP Phone. In the unpowered state, a Cisco IP Phone loops back  the FLP,  signaling the switch to send -48 V   DC power down the line.
  2. Load  the stored phone image: The  Cisco IP Phone has nonvolatile Flash memory in  which it stores  firmware images and user-defined preferences. At startup, the  phone  runs a bootstrap loader that loads a phone image stored in Flash memory.   Using this image, the phone initializes its software and hardware.
  3. Configure  VLAN: After  the IP Phone receives power and boots up, the switch sends a  Cisco  Discovery Protocol packet to the IP Phone. This Cisco Discovery Protocol   packet provides the IP Phone with voice VLAN information, if that  feature has  been configured.
  4. Obtain  IP address and TFTP server address: Next,  the IP Phone broadcasts a request  to a DHCP server. The DHCP server  responds to the IP Phone with a minimum of an  IP address, a subnet  mask, and the IP address of the Cisco TFTP
  5. Contact  TFTP server for configuration: The  IP Phone then contacts the Cisco TFTP  server. The TFTP server has  configuration files (.cnf file format or .cnf.xml)  for telephony  devices, which define parameters for connecting to Cisco  CallManager.  The TFTP server sends the configuration information for that IP  Phone,  which contains an ordered list of up to three Cisco CallManagers. In   general, any time you make a change in Cisco CallManager that requires a  phone  (device) to be reset, a change has been made to the  configuration file of that  phone. If a phone has an XML-compatible  load, it requests an XMLDefault.cnf.xml  format configuration file;  otherwise, it requests a .cnf file.
    If you  have enabled auto-registration in Cisco  CallManager, the phones access a  default configuration file  (sepdefault.cnf.xml) from the TFTP server. If you  have manually entered  the phones into the Cisco CallManager database, the phone  accesses a  .cnf.xml file that corresponds to its device name. The .cnf.xml file   also contains the information that tells the phone which image load that  it  should be running. If this image load differs from the one that is  currently  loaded on the phone, the phone contacts the TFTP server to  request the new  image file, which is stored as a .bin file.
  6. Register  with Cisco CallManager: After  obtaining the file from the TFTP server, the  phone attempts to make a  TCP connection to the highest-priority Cisco  CallManager on the list.

I have looked in this document but don't see anything.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/6901_6911/8_0/english/admin/guide/6911trb.html

Thanks

Scott

2 REPLIES

Is the startup process different on 6901 IP phones than 7942s???

I guess my problem is i have had limited success with sending out 6901's to field sites without booting them up first at the main site to download new firmware. Never had an issue with sending out 7942's. And i can upgrade the firmware version of 6901s and 7942s without any issues at the field sites without any issues just having issues with getting them registered the first time.

Thanks

Scott

Is the startup process different on 6901 IP phones than 7942s???

You can also have tftp server at remote sites with the required fw files

Regards

Haitham

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content