Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN Q931 Message

Guys, we all know about debug isdn q931 output message, I've 4 doubts in that. (which are in highlighted form in the attached snapshot)

• What is meaning & use of Channel ID [which is i = 0xA9839F in our case] (Line 30) ?
  • What is pd & what does that mean  (Line 31) ?
  • What does this mean i = 0x0081 (Line 10) (I thing I know about this that this value is in hexadecimal, after that 0081 represent what ?)

& i = 0x80 (Line 12)

Please check the attached snapshot for your reference.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks: Mohit Grover MCP, MCSE, MCITP CCIE Voice # 35961 BCA (Network Communications) MCA (Network Communications)
5 Replies 5

Nishant Savalia
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Mohit,

Below is the required information:-

1). channel id is composed of Bearer capability and the channel (i.e. slot occupied for the call)

for e.g in your case Bearer Capability is = 0x8090A3 and channel is 31 which int turns into 0xA9839F

Here, A398 value is interchanged from the bearer capability and 9F (80+1F) is the hex value of channel no 31 (hex=1F)

2). pd stands for protocol discriminator which means that value is used to distinguish messages for user-network call control from other messages.

for e.g

pd=8 for Q.931 user-network call control messages

pd=9 for Q.2931 user-network call control messages

3). Progress Ind i = 80 means it indicates that tones and announcements are available for that particular call.

various other progress indicaiton is as below:-

• PI=0 No progress indicator is included. Message type: Setup
  • PI=1 Call is not end-to-end ISDN; further call progress information may be available in-band. Message type: Alert, setup, progress, connect
  • PI=2 Destination address is non-ISDN Message type: Alert, progress, connect
  • PI=3 Origination address is non-ISDN Message type: Setup
  • PI=8 In-band information or appropriate pattern is now available Message type: Alert, progress, connect

4). calling party & called party information is as below:

· 80 the router

· 81 the private network near the local user (possibly a local private branch exchange [PBX])

· 82 the public network near the local user (local telco switch)

· 83 the transit network (in the ISDN cloud)

· 84 the public network near the remote user (remote telco switch)

· 85 the private the network near the remote user (possibly a remote PBX)

· 87 the international network

· 8A a network beyond the internetworking point

Regards, Nishant Savalia

Hi Nishant, thanks for your quick response.

Channel ID is composed of Bearer capability + Channel

Bearer Cap -> 0x8090A3 represents Voice/Speech call (G711 - A-law)

For e.g. In our case Bearer Capability is = 0x8090A3 (which represent that G711 A Law codec is being used) and channel is 31 which int turns into 0xA9839F (how it got turn into this value 0xA9839F, is that a hexa. addition or sort of something)

A398 value is interchanged from the bearer capability and 9F (80+1F) is the hex value of channel no 31 (hex=1F) ?

Thanks: Mohit Grover MCP, MCSE, MCITP CCIE Voice # 35961 BCA (Network Communications) MCA (Network Communications)

That is really helpful Paolo, Thanks

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: