Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

ISM Slots on 2911

I'm configuring a 2911 with a ISM-SRE-300-K9 module for the first time.  When I do a show inventory, I get this:

NAME: "CISCO2911/K9 chassis", DESCR: "CISCO2911/K9 chassis"
PID: CISCO2911/K9      , VID: V01 , SN: <omitted>

NAME: "2nd generation four port FXO voice interface daughtercard on Slot 0 SubSlot 3", DESCR: "2nd generation four port FXO voice interface daughtercard"
PID: VIC2-4FXO         , VID: V03 , SN: <omitted>

NAME: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 16 Channels on Slot 0 SubSlot 4", DESCR: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 16 Channels"
PID: PVDM3-16          , VID: V01 , SN: <omitted>

NAME: "Internal Services Module with Services Ready Engine on Slot 0", DESCR: "Internal Services Module with Services Ready Engine"
PID: ISM-SRE-300-K9    , VID: V01 , SN: <omitted>

NAME: "C2911 AC Power Supply", DESCR: "C2911 AC Power Supply"
PID: PWR-2911-AC       , VID: V01 , SN: <omitted>

When I go to configure the module, I get a choice of ISM 0/0 or ISM 0/1.  The motherboard only indicates the slot as "ISM".  On the 2811's the AIM slots were well marked.

Is there a default that slot identifer that this module assumes?  I can issue a "no shutdown" on both interfaces.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Kevin

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: ISM Slots on 2911

Hi Kevin,

It looks like you are using the service module slot

Q. What is the Service Module (SM) slot?
A. A Service Module (SM) is an externally pluggable interface form factor  for the Cisco Integrated Services Router Generation 2. The SM represents  the evolution of the Network Module (NM) slot available on the earlier  generation of Cisco Integrated Services Routers. The SMs provide  increased power and throughput capabilities as well as connections to  the new Multi-Gigabit Fabric (MGF). Existing NMs are supported in the  new SM slot with an adapter card.
Q. What is the Internal Service Module (ISM) slot?
A. An Internal Service Module (ISM) is an internally pluggable interface  form factor for the Cisco Integrated Services Router Generation 2. The  ISM represents the evolution of the Advanced Integration Module (AIM)  slot available on earlier generation of Cisco Integrated Services  Routers. The ISMs provide increased power and throughput capabilities as  well as connections to the new Multi-Gigabit Fabric (MGF). Existing  AIMs are not supported in the new ISM slot.

So the ISM is a newer slot than AIM which was seen on the 2800 series.
A shutdown is not needed, if not used will not be utilsed or interfere in an operation.

Info taken from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps10598/qa_c78_553916.html

Hope that helps

Sunit

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content