cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Iteratively upgrade phone firmware by device pool

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

My client is world-wide and wants to undertake a massive phone firmware upgrade.

CUCM version 6

I know how to upload the firmware files to the CUCM, that’s not the question.

Is there a way to execute this iteratively – so that we roll one site at a time?

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

No, dev pool in device defaults just sets the dev pool that auto reg phones go into.

You can set the firmware level on the dev defaults page, and nothing happens until a phone resets. If you are talking about staging the upgrades over a night for example, this might be fine. If you aren't rebooting servers and don't get a WAN dropout then the phones will do nothing until you reset them.

Alternatively, you could run an 'update phones' job on a device pool via BAT, setting the 'phone load' to the new version. You would need to do this per phone model for each device pool.

Then you can reset those phones and they will upgrade. If other phones reset (i.e. due to user stuff like EM login, or power/WAN outages) then they won't upgrade as they will use the default/current phone load)

Continue like that through all the dev pools one by one...

Once done, change the system default to the new firmware, and then run a BAT update phones to clear out the 'phone load' field on all phones.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sure.. just reset the phones selectively, i.e. by device pool or whatever you like.

You might want to consider (if you have large remote sites) setting up a local TFTP server with the load files on, and setting the 'load server' property to the IP of that server before doing it. I think that existed on v6... it's only really worth the effort if you have a lot of phones in one location and not a lot of bandwidth.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron - thanks for the reply.  Yes, the Load Server options is available (if you are referring to the ability to hard code the load server IP into the phone).  We have dismissed this option as too much work (resetting the phones with the load server IP and setting up a TFTP server at each site)

I was wondering if there was a way to manipulate the DP selection on the device defaults page.  For example, I upload the new firmware for the 7975 phone and set the device poll drop down to one my sites (Site 1 for example).  Then reset all the 7975s at Site 1.  After they all reset, change the Device Pool settings back to default.

Can this selection be used as a filter - or is it only used when configuring a new phone?

Hi

No, dev pool in device defaults just sets the dev pool that auto reg phones go into.

You can set the firmware level on the dev defaults page, and nothing happens until a phone resets. If you are talking about staging the upgrades over a night for example, this might be fine. If you aren't rebooting servers and don't get a WAN dropout then the phones will do nothing until you reset them.

Alternatively, you could run an 'update phones' job on a device pool via BAT, setting the 'phone load' to the new version. You would need to do this per phone model for each device pool.

Then you can reset those phones and they will upgrade. If other phones reset (i.e. due to user stuff like EM login, or power/WAN outages) then they won't upgrade as they will use the default/current phone load)

Continue like that through all the dev pools one by one...

Once done, change the system default to the new firmware, and then run a BAT update phones to clear out the 'phone load' field on all phones.

Regards

Aaron

Thanks, Aaron, that is exactly what I was looking for (the BAT process to upload/upgrade device pool by device pool

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: