Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Caller ID With SNR

carlnewton
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

Have come accross a weird problem.  Jabber 9.7, call manager 9.1.

User James John has extension 1234.  User Joe Bloggs has an extension 5678 and a remote destination configured of their mobile number, 907824 123 456 for example.  This is for single number reach.

Outlook has a corporate directory entry for Joe Bloggs, 07824 123 456.

Directory lookup rules have been inserted to remove the 9 from incoming calls to jabber.

Call in from Joe Bloggs Mobile to James John's desk phone actually shows a caller ID of 5678, and no name.  Its like its associating the remote destination with the line and displaying that.

Debug from the gateway shows the correct mobile number coming in.

If you change the number in the remote destination to be something OTHER that what Joe's mobile number is (Just junk the number for example) then the call comes in with the proper number and resolves to the outlook contact and displays the name.

The IP phone displays the same behaviour.

Has anyone else had this? I Can't see why this would be desireable?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I understand what you're saying but we need to reframe the mindset here. First, if you hadn't configured SNR, your stated desired behavior would work: calls to/from an off-net number would show the caller ID as-is. A user could choose to dial either a desk phone or their cell phone, and that specific destination would ring.

The intent of SNR is to call a USER, not a specific device. It's the same goal as emailing a USER instead of a specific computer they may be sitting in front of at the moment. Can you imaging emailing smith@172.16.1.10? No and SNR is attempting to leave the ridiculous 1970s era limitations behind as well. At least, to the extent possible without cooperation out of the PSTN provider using IMS, but that's a different story.

So you need to decide which experience you want. If you truly believe that "just be to have the number presented as the correct one that actually called in the first place" is your ideal, then delete SNR and you're done. IMO, SNR is a great feature and the user can control their own destiny. If they don't want calls on their cell because they are on vacation, then just activate the alternate greeting in Unity and CFA to voicemail (CFA inherently disables SNR). That's what I do at least.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Call in from Joe Bloggs Mobile to James John's desk phone actually shows a caller ID of 5678, and no name.  Its like its associating the remote destination with the line and displaying that.

This is expected behavior of SNR and unrelated to Jabber. You would see the same thing if you looked at James John's desk phone (though it would also show the Alerting field for name which Jabber doesn't).

You'll need to create Directory Lookup rules that expand the four-digit extensions out to the value in your directory. Normally I would say something to the effect of "match 5XXX, prefix 07824" but your extensions don't line up with the PSTN telephone number it appears. You will need to work through how to build lookup rules to make this modification for you. This is important because you'll also have this problem for direct onnet calls where Jabber can't match a directory record against the four-digit ANI received.

You are correct, sorry this is nothing to do with Jabber, its a system wide problem, happens on IP phones too.

So lets say John is out and calls Joe from his cell.  Joe misses the call, but has no idea John is out of the office and has actually called from his cell, because jabber shows the missed call as coming from Johns desk phone extension, not his mobile number.  I can add directory lookup rules to expand the deskphone extension to E164 so it matches the directory, but it will still only bring up John's number and give no indication he called from his cell.  Is there a parameter to change it to show the actual number?

Directory lookup rules work as far as directory look ups go; it will show the correct name, but a returned call will still go to the wrong number (Desk instead of cell) which is undesirable in every deployment I can think of!

Just to make sure we are on the same page:

John:

DDI 01225 123 456

DN 3456

Cellphone 07824 567 890

Remote desitnation profile of 907824 567 890 for SNR

Joe

DDI 01225 123 654

DN 3654

Cellphone 07824 567 890

Remote destination profile of 907824 567 890 for SNR

John calls Joe's DDI from his Cell

Joe's IP phone and Jabber client show the call as coming in from 3456, even though it came from 07824 567 890

Joe misses the call, trys to call John back from his missed calls list, and the call actually goes to John's desk phone.

John misses the call because he is out of office.

SNR I guess would kind of help that, the call would make it to the cell; but a lot of people don't use it, or forget to switch it on and off.  The ideal would just be to have the number presented as the correct one that actually called in the first place! :)

Thanks for your help

I understand what you're saying but we need to reframe the mindset here. First, if you hadn't configured SNR, your stated desired behavior would work: calls to/from an off-net number would show the caller ID as-is. A user could choose to dial either a desk phone or their cell phone, and that specific destination would ring.

The intent of SNR is to call a USER, not a specific device. It's the same goal as emailing a USER instead of a specific computer they may be sitting in front of at the moment. Can you imaging emailing smith@172.16.1.10? No and SNR is attempting to leave the ridiculous 1970s era limitations behind as well. At least, to the extent possible without cooperation out of the PSTN provider using IMS, but that's a different story.

So you need to decide which experience you want. If you truly believe that "just be to have the number presented as the correct one that actually called in the first place" is your ideal, then delete SNR and you're done. IMO, SNR is a great feature and the user can control their own destiny. If they don't want calls on their cell because they are on vacation, then just activate the alternate greeting in Unity and CFA to voicemail (CFA inherently disables SNR). That's what I do at least.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: