Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows and SRST Support

lorenz84gDD
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I was wondering if Jabber for Windows (in softphone mode) can fallback in srst. In my environment when Jabber goes in srst it looses connectivity towards the HQ where CUPS and CUCM servers are located.

I read some docs and - hope I did understand that wrong - Jabber needs a presence server in order for telephony features to work in srst.

Basically it's impossible to place/receive calls with Jabber when CUPS is unreacheable. Am i correct?

Does using CME (ver. 10) as srst allows me to have Jabber for windows work as a phone?

Can someone clear this out?

thanks

lorenz

CUCM: 9.1.2

IMP: 9.1.1

Jabber: 9.2.6

------- have a look to my blog lgrconsulting.com
10 Replies 10

Sandesh Rao
Level 1
Level 1
Cisco Jabber for Windows supports the following features with Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony version 8.5 and above :
  • Basic call functionality
  • Ability to hold and resume calls
Restriction:

Cisco Jabber for Windows requires an active connection to the presence server to successfully fall back to Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony.

Refer to the Cisco Unified SCCP and SIP SRST System Administrator Guide for information about configuring Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony at: http:/ ​/​www.cisco.com/​en/​US/​docs/​voice_ip_comm/​cusrst/​admin/​ sccp_sip_srst/​configuration/​guide/​SCCP_​and_​SIP_​SRST_​Admin_​ Guide.html

For Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express support details, refer to the Cisco Unified CME documentation: http:/​/​www.cisco.com/​en/​US/​products/​sw/​voicesw/​ps4625/​products_​device_​support_​tables_​list.html

More information available at the below link:

Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.2.x Installation and Configuration Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config_chapter_010.html

Regards

Sandesh Rao

Hi all,

Any update on this topic? According to the docs you need access to the IM&P server to fallback to SRST and it makes no sense at all.

Did anyone try the SRST with Jabber without access to the servers? Any config example, please?

Thanks!

Did this subject get dropped?  What was the final results?

According to the roadmap of SRST/E-SRST 11.0, the restriction still applies.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/admin/sccp_sip_srst/configuration/guide/SCCP_and_SIP_SRST_Admin_Guide/srst_roadmap.html#20263

However, from the Jabber FAQ it seems that phone-only mode is supported by SRST without IM&P. Keep in mind that this allows already connected clients to keep making calls, but those clients will not be able to login again under SRST mode. This complicates things since if you're not operating in phone-only mode, it will require changing the SRV records or changing the configuration per client, prior to entering SRST mode since you can't login during SRST mode.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Jabber_FAQ#Does_Jabber_support_SRST.3F

Perhaps a Jabber SME could explain if there is a reasonable workaround for this issue.

Dear All,

We have CUCM with 11.5 and IMP 11.5 integrated and working fine with UC mode & we dont want the chat enable on jabber. Also as document says srst support Jabber client. Customer wants to test the SRST mode. Kindly suggest is it possible to configure as UC mode. Or either we need to configure jabber as Phone mode.

I agree with all posts.  Cisco can we get some love here?  As you push your collaboration solution to more of a software driven solution there needs to be reliable failover!  We have already had 5 customers pass on a BE6K solution due to this "caveat" (or design failure imo).  Adding secondary servers is cost prohibitive for most end users and over kill for the reliability that we're asking for. 

Otto Proell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

we face the same issue herr at a customer.

There are several locations that are living without any WAN backup.

In case of WAN outage all phones survive but all Jabber soft phones  don´t and loose to SRST services.

This is a big pain point!!!

Why is Jabber not behaving the same way a telephone does.  Having local config.cnf.xml file that points out first, second, third optional call control IP..

We write all other sort of info into "jabber-config.xml" file why not this important info

That way Jabber could fallback into phone mode without need to communictate to CUP.

This would be consistent user experience across all Endpoints no matter if soft or hard.

regards

Otto

We have this exact same stance.  Why is this considered a solution for SRST?  Having an active connection to something that is typically housed next to CUCM is a silly way of checking the "SRST supported" box for this endpoint.

We almost lost a client over this.  We had to show them all the material claiming SRST support, then explain how this is the only endpoint with a server connectivity caveat and finally show them where the caveat was buried in a technical doc.  After that they asked us to escalate the issue with Cisco at the BU level.  When we did that, we got a very stonewall response from an SE.  They felt this wasn't an issue.  They felt the solution was just fine and the idea of having to have access to a service or server during a WAN outage was not a big deal.

Needless to say, I did not agree.  I also asked why Phone mode only could not be the fallback position. They simply said it does not work that way and that it needs the login service.

ronny.gross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

same issue in my customer project (10.000 + users). The customer is willing to use 75% Jabber clients only for its staff. So we're in real trouble within that project because we can't create backup functionality.

Why isn't it possible to create same SRST functionality as within IP Phones? As Otto Proell describes it should be relatively easy possible to implement. The current implementation doesn't make sense at all, because when WAN connection is lost, then CUCM and CUP connection is lost!

Cisco - please work on that topic with urgency!!

Thanks and best regards,

Ronny

sdolnack
Level 1
Level 1

This is a big deal for one of our clients as well. The client basically has (1) 8811 for the receptionist, (1) 8831 for the conference room, and everyone else I running Jabber for Windows. They have 20+ sites with around 500 seats. They face the same issue--if the WAN goes down, no one will be able to place/receive calls.  They are running 10.6. Any update on the fix? Thanks Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: