cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Mobile VPN alternative for iPhone!!!

Douglas Crane
Level 1
Level 1

Our company is trying to decide between MS Lync and the jabber app for the world wide iPhones 4s's we have. I am hoping to use Jabber but so far my biggest hurdle has been that Lync does not require a VPN connection to make the iPhone act as a IP phone while everything I am hearing and seeing is saying that jabber does... Creating a huge problem with the battery life deprived iPhones.

That being said is there a way to circumnavigate this issue with the Jabber mobile app?

Maybe a SIP proxy or something of that nature..

And if so is there any documentation on how to set this type of system up?

Current setup is CUCM 6.1 upgrading to new hardware and 8.6 in the next couple of weeks with full CUWL pro licensing already purchased just waiting for delivery of equipment so I can get to work..

Thank you for your help..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Remember though, Lync may not require a VPN a tunnel, but its not a true SIP end point.  Lync tells the phone to call the PBX (Lync) and then Lync at HQ makes a second call all, then joins the cell phone call and the HQ PSTN call.   How is that a mobile client??  Have you tested it this out?

With Jabber, yes its a lightweight SSL VPN tunnel from the APP (not the phone).  vs Lync, servers in the DMZ, serurity certs, ports opened/closed, etc.

If you have CUWL Pro, and upgrading to CUCM 8.6... it shouldnt be an issue.. you have basically paid for everything except the concurrent licenses on your existing ASAs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Remember though, Lync may not require a VPN a tunnel, but its not a true SIP end point.  Lync tells the phone to call the PBX (Lync) and then Lync at HQ makes a second call all, then joins the cell phone call and the HQ PSTN call.   How is that a mobile client??  Have you tested it this out?

With Jabber, yes its a lightweight SSL VPN tunnel from the APP (not the phone).  vs Lync, servers in the DMZ, serurity certs, ports opened/closed, etc.

If you have CUWL Pro, and upgrading to CUCM 8.6... it shouldnt be an issue.. you have basically paid for everything except the concurrent licenses on your existing ASAs.

Very interesting! So let me see if I have this correct.. Lync is utilizing the PSTN to join the calls? Not creating the RTP stream between end points? This seems counterproductive. It also does nothing for toll-bypass does it? Or minimize cellular minutes being used. I need to read more on how lync processes voice calls in order to build my case for using the Jabber client.

All this still leaves the issue of the stupid iPhones having such poor battery life! I have read that the Jabber app does VPN on demand. Does this mean that the app will activate the VPN connection as a call is made out from the phone only? What about incoming voice calls, presence, enterprise chat and video? Is there a handoff that occurs when an incoming call to the Jabber app occurs giving it time to activate the VPN? I could see how that would greatly reduce the battery consumption of the device by not requiring an always on connection.

Thank you for all your help!!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Microsoft must have came by your office and fed you some of their bright and colorful Lync Koolaid.  (Joking).. But honestly, Lync and is making calls via PSTN.. (Call Via Work I think its called)..    Microsoft will tell you how VOIP over 4G is or wireless is not great and cellular is "truely" the the best method to make a call.   So with that said... If I have Lync on my phone and dial via work.. PSTN call to a predined DID into HQ Lync Pool...  Lync picks up the incoming call (DID of Lync User) which then in turn makes a call outbound out of HQ to connect the call with the Lync users DID of their deskphone, hence, hiding their Cell number.

Dont believe me.. try it yourself.

In all honesty, I have not done load testing on Jabber on iphone or android, only testing.  I can tell you my android on wireless stays connected to CUCM all day (no calls because Im testing) and I dont see any different in battery life going on. (less)

Q.

My iOS device  battery seems to be draining much faster while I am using Cisco Jabber. What could be causing this?

A.

Similar to other iOS applications, just running and using Cisco Jabber uses battery power. However, you can modify several settings in Cisco Jabber improve battery power. Check the following:

• Detailed logging—Enable this option only  if you are collecting troubleshooting details to resolve problems using Cisco Jabber. Keep it disabled otherwise. Tap Settings > Troubleshooting and turn Detailed Logging OFF.
  • A weak Wi-Fi connection can affect the battery life. Move to a location with a stronger network signal.

And again.. battery is hard to justify.. if you are ATT or Verizon or Sprint.. model of iPhone, apps running in the background draining.. screen brightness, list goes on and on.  Android has the same issues... end uses load up junk on their phones and grinds their batteries quicker.. (IE, facebook and GPS checking every 5 minutes, tracking locations, words with friends or social games, etc)

Feel free to ask questions..  I have used both and (OCS R2 and Lync) and still think the slickest voice/collab is now Jabber.   IM/Presence anyone can do.. it comes down to voice (in my opinion) and video.

chris.warren
Level 1
Level 1

I also find the VPN "issue" to be minor. The Lync client has to establish a session to the Lync Edger server in a DMZ. This session times out and has to reconnect. I'm not sure from a user experience standpoint how this is much different than establishing a SSL VPN.