cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limitations of CUCM ad hoc conferencing with software bridge

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

On CUCM 10.x, if I only have the 2 built-in software bridges on the Pub and Sub, what are my limitations on ad hoc conference calls?  I know the service parameter maxes out at 64, but is that 64 people on 1 call?  A total of 64 people in any combination of calls?  Something else?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That refers to the maximum number of participants in a single ad-hoc conference but I believe the maximum number of audio streams per server is 128.  So you have to account for not only ad-hoc conferences but also MeetMe conferencing.  If you have a lot of users that require large ad-hoc conference resources, it's generally preferred to add a hardware resource(s) to the mix and off-load that a bit from the CUCM servers.

Hailey

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kyle,

I'll just add this note to the great tips from my friend Hailey (+5 buddy!)

Cisco Conference Bridge Software

Software conference devices support G.711 codecs by default.

The maximum number of audio streams for this type equals 128. With 128 streams, a software conference media resource can handle 128 users in a single conference, or the software conference media resource can handle up to 42 conferencing resources with three users per conference.

Caution   

If the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application service runs on the same server as the Cisco CallManager service, a software conference should not exceed the maximum limit of 48 participants.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmsys/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100_chapter_011000.html#CUCM_RF_C4B829F7_00

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That refers to the maximum number of participants in a single ad-hoc conference but I believe the maximum number of audio streams per server is 128.  So you have to account for not only ad-hoc conferences but also MeetMe conferencing.  If you have a lot of users that require large ad-hoc conference resources, it's generally preferred to add a hardware resource(s) to the mix and off-load that a bit from the CUCM servers.

Hailey

Hello David,

Do you know if the endpoints are in this ad hoc, can they share screen? Is there any limitation with this?

What do you mean share their screen?? You do realize all this thread is about just voice conferencing, right???

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hey Jaime

Sorry to intrupt you guys..... i have this one problem if you could help me as u did last time i would appriciate it.

i have configured CONFERENCE NOW feature on cucm 11.0 and it is workin fine on internal phones. But it is impossible to join the call from outside.. i tried making the DID public number but still not workin.. do you have any idea on this problem..

thnks in advance

What exactly is happening when you dial the DID from outside?? Is it silence or the call drops. Taking debugs at the gateway should be good to start with.

Regards

Deepak

Please don't hijack threads, if you require assistance, open a new thread and wait for someone to try to assist.

HTH

java

bekcisco1,

Can you open a new thread about that issue?  I have some questions and suggestions but since it's a completely different topic we need it on its own.  I'll jump in once you've made the new thread.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kyle,

I'll just add this note to the great tips from my friend Hailey (+5 buddy!)

Cisco Conference Bridge Software

Software conference devices support G.711 codecs by default.

The maximum number of audio streams for this type equals 128. With 128 streams, a software conference media resource can handle 128 users in a single conference, or the software conference media resource can handle up to 42 conferencing resources with three users per conference.

Caution   

If the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application service runs on the same server as the Cisco CallManager service, a software conference should not exceed the maximum limit of 48 participants.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmsys/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100_chapter_011000.html#CUCM_RF_C4B829F7_00

Cheers!

Rob

So if I have the conference bridges for the Pub and Sub in the same MRG that's applied to all the phones, I should be able to handle 256 G.711 streams?

Bear in mind that resources are allocated accordingly to the service parameters, even if there's only 3 people in the conference, if you set the parameter for 64, it will allocate a conference for 64 users, and lock those resources until the conference is dropped.

You'll be left with only another 3 conferences (with 2 SW CFB), meet-me, or adhoc. Make sure to set the maximum number of participants for each as you need to use resources appropriately 

HTH

java

Theoretically, yes but see Java's info below to get the real answer.  IMO, ad-hoc conferencing is not a great answer for frequent large conferences (4-8 is "ideal" to me but with some give or take depending on preference/resources).  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: