Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
alf
Community Member

Local Route Group and Translations for local Short Dialing

Hello Team,

We currently have a dialplan for a centralized callprocessing with multiple-sites with traditional path selection implemented (means no LRG).

The cluster is based on CUCM V8.5. We currently have 15 sites and planning to add 5 more this year.

All phones are within one global partition, so the current line numbers are the result of the initial local extension (before migration to CUCM) plus a site prefix. This makes the line numbers individual. To allow still local short dialing (without the site prefix) within one location, we have site specific translation pattern based on the local extensions. This currently works fine, but its somehow complex to operate.

We are currently evaluating to introduce LRG. I think this will help to reduce the route-patterns and route-lists in the dialplan. But with those

requirement for local shortdialing we still need location specific translations, partitions and CSS to remain this.

Can you pls comment on this if I´m right with this consideration, if you had similar implementations and how you did approach this,

and if you suggest to go ahead to LRG with the impacts above or recommend to stay with the traditional approach, since LRG will

not reduce the complexity of the dialplan significantly.

best regards

Alfred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Local Route Group and Translations for local Short Dialing

You are correct. I always use site specific CSS in case you need more flexibility, ie filial 0 for onsite operator or as you describe short dialing within a site. Your thinking is spot on.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

5 REPLIES

You are correct. I always use site specific CSS in case you need more flexibility, ie filial 0 for onsite operator or as you describe short dialing within a site. Your thinking is spot on.

Chris

VIP Super Bronze

Short dialling or abbreviated dialling shouldnt be sent to your gateways. That stays within the cluster, hence this has no bearing with LRG..

LRG is excellent, so you should go with it. There is a defect to bear in mind with LRG pre CUCM9.1 with redirected calls.

Example:

Phone B call forwards their phone to to ther cell phone.

Phone A in a different location calls Phone B

Phone A uses their own LRG/Gateway to process the call forward.

Particularly across geographic boundaries this causes a lot of issues - international calls to cell phones etc - and lots of issues with numbers that are simply not dialable due to localisation of numbers

This issues was addressed in CUCM9.x and above with this new parameter:

## #This parameter specifies the local route group to be used for a  redirected call. Valid values follow: Local route group of calling  party: When this value is selected, the local route group associated  with the Device Pool of the Calling Party is used for routing the call.  Local route group of original called party: When this value is selected,  the local route group associated with the Device Pool of the Original  Called Party is used for routing the call. Local route group of last  redirecting party: When this value is selected, the local route group  associated with the Device Pool of the Last Redirecting Party is used  for routing the call.
   This is a required field.
   Default:                  Local route group of calling party

Another note on short dials is that I like to apply site specific CSS on the Line CSS not on the device CSS. This helps especially with EM users. They maintain their dialling habbits when they leave their home location. With the Device CSS short dials work work when users go to a different location...

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

Please rate all useful posts "The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

there is a workaround to the call forwarding caveat in version 9.

alf
Community Member

thx Chris for sharing your thoughts.

@aokanlawon,ty2, your comments are helpful, but not related to my question.

VIP Super Bronze

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question...You post quoted below asked about LRG. And I gave my thoughts on LRG pointing out a defect in previous release of CUCM...

We are currently evaluating to introduce LRG. I think this will help to reduce the route-patterns and route-lists in the dialplan. But with those

requirement for local shortdialing we still need location specific translations, partitions and CSS to remain this.

Can you pls comment on this if I´m right with this consideration, if you had similar implementations and how you did approach this,

and if you suggest to go ahead to LRG with the impacts above or recommend to stay with the traditional approach, since LRG will

not reduce the complexity of the dialplan significantly.

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

Please rate all useful posts "The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content