cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for a simple solution for teleworker

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Does anyone know how to install a 7940 phone to register to CCM via internet without a router in the midle ? I have a few users who work from home and they want a hard phone at home and I am trying to accomplish this without putting in an IOS router. I understand I will need some sort of VPN or IPSec tunnel connection to the Corporate office but would like to find out if there is a way to accomplish this without adding a router.

Thank you in advance !!!!

Danny

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need a router, PIX or ASA. The Cisoc phone does not have an embaded VPN client, so there is no way to run it without the above.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for your response !!!

Danny

gajolly
Level 1
Level 1

Danny,

it will not be possible because you need a vpn client which is not there with cisco phones..

Thank you !!

Danny

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could register phone with SIP, but you will need a SIP proxy server. Then you could skirt around the VPN issue.

Cheers

FYI, I am evaluating Cisco's Phone Proxy. It allows the phone to connect directly via the Internet. I just received a loaner and am going to be testing over the next few weeks. It allows the phone to use any NAT'able router. only config needed on the phone is to set the Alternet TFTP to the address of the proxy, according to the documentation.

Did you ever do any testing with this product?

--Jon

Yes, I just sent the unit back. It works, however, I did encounter a few issues with it.

1. Two remote phones connected to it cannot talk to one another.

2. You do not have access to any services (it only does SCCP and RTP. I believe you can set it up to proxy http services, but they are not secure.

3. There is an issue with having multiple consoles, the user information must be downloaded and then reloaded. Otherwise you wind up with different user tables.

4. User status in the console does not work.

5. Did not see a way to log out a phone via the web interface, only could log in.

I will say this, it worked great for one of my users that was experiencing issues with their hardware VPN tunnel dropping their phone on a regular basis.

I would guess that since it a new product there will be updates to resolve these issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: