Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Loopback0 vs. "Backup interface GigabitEthernetx/x" for redundance

Hi,

I am a voice engineer. To configure MGCP gateways I have used the Cisco standard method of creating a loopback interface specially when there are redundant switch connections, e.g. GigabitEthernet0/0 and GigabitEthernet0/0.  Can anybody please explain if I use "backup interface" method, would it work same way.  The backup interface method also has a backup delay, not sure what is default, but secondary interface won't be active until the delay elapses.  If I configure "no backup delay" would there still be an event for MGCP?  Can somebody please share their experience?

3 REPLIES

I personally have my MGCP GWs

I personally have my MGCP GWs configured with "backup interface" and it works just fine. I haven't tried configuring the backup interface without delay.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

If your primary interface

If your primary interface fails, is there an event for MGCP? What happens to active calls?

Update: I just found that the default delay is 0 seconds (that means "no backup delay" is not required to be explicitly added, so I assume the MGCP gateway should not experience any impact at all. If you done this testing in your environment, please confirm.

And thanks a lot for quick reply!

The calls remain up and I don

The calls remain up and I don't recall seeing an MGCP event.

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content