Views
Helpful
Replies

Mailbox Moves - Unity 4.2(1) with Exchange 2003

afischer1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am trying to move mailboxes homed on an exchange server from one store to another.  Both stores have had the Unity permissions wizard run against them, and both contain mailboxes with working unity accounts.  When I move a mailbox from one store to the other users can no longer access their messages from their phone.  They receive the greeting "your messages are not available now".

In all the troubleshooting guides I can find it references that i need to run the unity permissions wizard, but i have already run the wizard i would like to avoid having to do this again.

Does anyone know of the proper procedure of moving mailboxes from one store to another on the same exchange server?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It does take time for Unity to sync the DC/GC connections back into the local SQL database from AD.  Give it time, or force it through the Unity Tools Depot DC/GC.

Check the log and it should say: sync started, check back when completed.  Then another message and final message will say the amount of items sync'd.

Log into the SA page, go to the subscriber and check the Unity server name.  Did it update?  If it did not, check the event log there is an issue.

I see you ran permissions, did you also the Message Store Wizard from Add/Remove programs on the Unity server to add in the other Exchange store/server?

View solution in original post

Hi - in addition to the excellent info provided by Tommer, make sure of three things:

- When you ran permission wizard, you need to check the box that has the additional mailstores. I am assuming the new mailstores are on the same Exchange server.

- Check inheritance of the moved users' mailboxes, particularly if you are also moving user accounts in the process between organizational units.  Run ADUC, view a user's account using advanced options so you can view the Security Tab.  Check to make sure the unitymsgstoresvc account has Send As; Receive As; Manage Information Store permissions etc. 

- Make sure the user's account is in an OU that is included in the permissions wizard.  If you have users from multiple OUs, it is better to run the permissions wizard using the xxx.com/ root level of the domain than xxx.com/Users because only the Users OU gets the permissions.

5 points to Tommer for his continual excellence in this area :-)

Sincerely, Ginger

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It does take time for Unity to sync the DC/GC connections back into the local SQL database from AD.  Give it time, or force it through the Unity Tools Depot DC/GC.

Check the log and it should say: sync started, check back when completed.  Then another message and final message will say the amount of items sync'd.

Log into the SA page, go to the subscriber and check the Unity server name.  Did it update?  If it did not, check the event log there is an issue.

I see you ran permissions, did you also the Message Store Wizard from Add/Remove programs on the Unity server to add in the other Exchange store/server?

How do i sync the DC/GC connections?  When i looked in the tools deport i find a directory sync tool?

Thanks

Yes, that is correct.

Hi - in addition to the excellent info provided by Tommer, make sure of three things:

- When you ran permission wizard, you need to check the box that has the additional mailstores. I am assuming the new mailstores are on the same Exchange server.

- Check inheritance of the moved users' mailboxes, particularly if you are also moving user accounts in the process between organizational units.  Run ADUC, view a user's account using advanced options so you can view the Security Tab.  Check to make sure the unitymsgstoresvc account has Send As; Receive As; Manage Information Store permissions etc. 

- Make sure the user's account is in an OU that is included in the permissions wizard.  If you have users from multiple OUs, it is better to run the permissions wizard using the xxx.com/ root level of the domain than xxx.com/Users because only the Users OU gets the permissions.

5 points to Tommer for his continual excellence in this area :-)

Sincerely, Ginger

Hi Guys

One more question, how can i look to see if the users Unity mailbox has been updated to point to the new message store?  I want to start moving users mailboxes and i want to be able to confirm that it worked properly, without having to call the users.

Thanks

You should be able to log into the Unity SA and pull up the Subscriber and look on the profile page.  It will show the server name, which should indicate the new server.

Hello

I am aware of that information, it doesn't apply in this situation because I'm moving mailboxes between stores on the same server.  Is there a way on unity to confirm what store the mailbox is pointed at?

Thanks

If you do a DC/GC reconnect (or wait about 15 minutes)  Then dial into the subscribers mailbox using the phone.  If Unity can count the read and unread messages, it is working.  I normally leave a message, listen to a message, check MWI status, if using Unified, read/unread from outlook.

If these tests work, then it is working.

If you get "Unity message store is offline" when dialing into the subscriber account.... Unity does not have access or it is still syncing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: