Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of files for trace output settings in CUCM 8.6.2

wilsonsant
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Guys,

I would like know there are any value limit of security to change this parameters. Actually the CUCM 8.6.2 about my customer is setting to 50. I read in another post that increased the value can be to affect the performance about system.

Thanks,

Wilson                   

8 Replies 8

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Changing the number of trace files the system saves before rotating and overwritting files would not have any impact to performance.  Simply changing the number of logs and not modifying the log level would just use more disk space instead of adding more load to the system.  As for the value limit, you would have to do some math.  Find how much free space is on the /common partition (show status) on each server and then divid the size of each log file (2MB default) to find out how many log files you potentially could store before the disk would be full.  I usually only go to 80% of that value to be safe.

Hi Joseph,

Thank You for your contact. I am confuse, I read the another post in this forum about the version 4.1 and the information that was passed not stay clear.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1150630#1150630

Could You clarify for me?

Thank You,

Wilson

On CUCM 8.6.2 the system runs linux not windows so there is a dedicated swap partition therefore increasing the number of log files should not impact performance at all.

on a 7845, the second raid array is dedicated to the common partition, giving you 70GB of total space.having said that by increasing the value of Max no of file that would only cause the usage of the activelog directory and would not have impact on the performance as such.

after making such a change you can monitor and need to review the growth of common partition is as expected on day or two.

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Hi Joseph and Nadeem,

In the next week I will try to do the tests and I will inform the results.

Thank You,

Wilson

• Hi Nademm and Joseph,

I am sorry by delay. Yesterday I did the test with my CUCM laboratory, where I change the value 50 to 100 and appear the message:

You are making a change to either the Maximum No. Of Files or

the Maximum File Size parameter. If you proceed with this change,

all the log files for this service will be deleted if the service is

running or once this service is activated.

Make sure that you download and save any log files that you wish

to keep to another server before you change the Maximum No. of

Files parameter of the MaximumFile Size parameter. Click OK to

proceed with the changes of otherwise click CANCEL to cancel this

operation.

This Operation can impact system performance and should only be

performed during maitenance window You are making a change to either the Maximum No. Of Files or
the Maximum File Size parameter. If you proceed with this change,
all the log files for this service will be deleted if the service is
running or once this service is activated.
Make sure that you download and save any log files that you wish
to keep to another server before you change the Maximum No. of
Files parameter of the MaximumFile Size parameter. Click OK to
proceed with the changes of otherwise click CANCEL to cancel this
operation.
This Operation can impact system performance and should only be
performed during maitenance window

Thanks,

Wilson

Hi guys,

I also tried this in lab and received the same warning from wilsonsant.

What this menas? Will we really loose all logs when changing the number of files?

regards

It does says in the document that

Note   

When you change either the  Maximum number of files or Maximum file size (MB) parameter, the system  deletes all the service log files except the current file if the service  is running, or, if the service is not active, the system will delete  the files when the service is initially turning on. If you want to keep a  record of the log files, make sure that you download and save the  service log files to another server before changing the Maximum No. of Files parameter or the Maximum File Size parameter.

Better to keep a record or ftp the files which are required.

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: